iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Crowns and winding around them + snags (peg tops)  (Read 374 times)

Texture

• ITSA
  • Split that top!
Crowns and winding around them + snags (peg tops)
« on: May 26, 2021, 04:39:27 PM »

When I first started learning to throw tops, I paid no attention to the direction I was winding around the crown to get the string started. I never had any snags, because the crown was not angled in any way, so the string wound around the crown would slide right off when I threw the top.

I had smooth spinning until I purchased my first my first Mexican top, which had a different crown than the Peruvian tops I was used to, sort of like a V shape. I had a lot of trouble with this top because the string would continuously snag on the crown when the string unwound on the throw. I got very sick of it, and I actually gave up tops for awhile until I learned how to throw correctly, and learned to wind the string around the crown the other way. I never had any snags again.

Nowadays, I hear people have had trouble sometimes with tops such as the wooden Duncan Beginners top, because it snags. I never had any snags because I wound the string around the crown the other direction. I also realized that sometimes when doing a trapeze throw the string snags when I wind the string around the crown one direction, so I simply wind it the other way.

I'm curious to see if anyone knows why there is a certain direction to wind the string around that prevents snags, and why sometimes that direction  differs between tops.

Me

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Crowns and winding around them + snags (peg tops)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 11:52:03 PM »

Those are interesting observations.
I know I wrap around the crown in the reverse direction than most: I wrap in the opposite direction than around the body. So the string changes direction at the knot. I have been told that is wrong, but for some reason I started doing it like that and that's what my muscle memory remembers.
With normal tops I don't have problems with snags. I have had snag problems with old Duncan tops that have convex crown walls. This was a problem Duncan was aware in the 60's and motivated the invention of the Magic Groove. But when Duncan changed to plastic tops, by necessity the crowns had vertical walls (so they could be pushed out of the injection mold) and the snag problem disappeared.
I never investigated if the direction of the wrap on the crown affected the chance of a snag, but now I am curious.

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 02:03:07 PM »

I also find this interesting...

Texture

• ITSA
  • Split that top!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 02:28:23 PM »

I also find this interesting...
I read on your spintopworkshop blog that one of the changes you made in batch 5 of the sweetle is the angle of the crown, because you noticed snags with the angled crown. I never had any snags, because I wrapped the string around the other way.  :o

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 04:11:39 PM »

The snags were occasional enough for me, I thought it was just a bad throw. The angle on the crown of the previous batches was not severe, but when I finally got suspicious enough and tested a straight crown, the snags went away. The purpose of the angle was just to help new folks who have trouble keeping the string on the crown while they are winding up, and because it looks kinda cool.

Texture, which way are you calling the right way, the "follow" way or the "bent" way?

Texture

• ITSA
  • Split that top!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 07:48:02 PM »

What I noticed was that if I use a used string compared to a fresh string I have snags from a boomerang when I wind on a certain one of the two directions, depending on the type of crown. I have even had snags on crowns that have no angle. I don't really have a preferred direction to wind around. I test both directions with a throw, and the direction that doesn't create a snag is what I use for that top. With most tops the direction doesn't real matter, but with angled crowns it is important. To be honest the best way of spinning a top is to not even use the crown, of to just snap start the top.

:-X

Kirk

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 11:50:11 PM »

This topic was discussed here. (about half way down)
https://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,5949.msg64053.html#msg64053
 I will mention again that having an experienced player watch you carefully or doing your own slow motion video can really help.

jim in paris

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 01:26:22 PM »

Thanx for the link ;)

One more point:
about the string
The best anti snag is a braided string
like the japanese or colombian strings
Most of the time , twisted strings tend to be more prone to snag(depending on the quality of the string)

My 2 cents

Jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"