iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Heartwarming stories from Miamisburg - tell me one from your life!!!  (Read 636 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

I was just at the softball diamonds watching some family play when a young guy with a lot of tattoos came up to me with a big smile.  I had no idea who he was until he started talking about our top fest from 7-8 years ago.  He said he had wonderful memories of hanging out and throwing with everyone.  He has been bouncing around a bit but now is back in town and upon seeing me decided he wanted to spin again.  He wants a top to practice.  I told him I might have something for him and we exchanged phone numbers.  Our conversation made for a nice finish to the day!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
Re: Heartwarming stories from Miamisburg - tell me one from your life!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 12:21:24 AM »

Nice that someone can remember top spinning by simply seeing you.  ;D

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 08:49:01 AM »

Tops can connect people!
A few are not interested at all
A few are fascinated.
Most everyone has some level of interest that can be a conversation starter and a way to bring folks together around a positive thing.  This is so needed.
Thanks for being an example to us.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 06:15:40 PM »

I think tops should be made available in prisons. Tricks - Fighting - and wood lathes.

Mark Leithead

• ITSA
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 08:50:04 AM »

Amazing Mike!

One heartwarming story is watching with great confusion and interest Jim Neff's longest wirewalker attempts in Miamisburg with what looked like a floating spinning John M top from the balcony of the church gliding above an adjacent parking lot, with Mike, Jorge, mailman, Kirk, Lynn (and others) explaining to me what exactly is going on LOL. The fishing line explanation helped a lot for me to understand too.

The spintop battle with the tens of kids, adolescents, teenagers and adults on the stage near the river was also great to see, very intense battle and skills and desires prevailed in that competition, was really exciting to be a spectator for that too.

The dinner after the competition (where Eli crushed it and won National Champion) was also great, where Austin whom had previously also had a great freestyle earlier that day then continued to make us all laugh on stage with his stories and comments. Awesome stuff.

Then touring the Top Museum was amazing, seeing so many one-of-a-kind tops, trophies (a copy of Steve Brown's 1st place Worlds 2000 or 2001 trophy was there I think if I remember correctly, amazing), player cards, tops of all sizes large and small, world record (I think) hand top spinning attempts occurring, it was an excellent time.

These are just a few that come to mind!  :D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 09:03:59 PM by Mark Leithead »