iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Top-ography  (Read 568 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Top-ography
« on: May 24, 2021, 12:21:55 PM »

We have seen before several plays on the word top, like top-ology and top-less. Here is a picture of the board game Top-ography posted by Fujita-san on Facebook:

The game is from Cadaco-Ellis and patent pending in 1942. I'm guessing that it was played by spinning the top with the letters and then placing a stick on the hole of a city starting with that letter. The upright sticks would create a barrier for the top to spin, so perhaps there was some strategy involved. It included an hour glass, so it was time constrained. I need to find the patent.

Unfortunately, from an Ebay auction, it appears that in a latter version the top was replaced by a spinner (roulette)  :(
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 02:11:10 PM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: Top-ography
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 12:56:15 PM »

I admire the woman at far right for taking a stand against 4 attackers armed with spears. :o

However, mothers trying to teach their children not to run with sharp objects would not have been pleased with that part of the box. >:D

Nonetheless, an interesting game. If the top was eventually replaced with a roulette-style spinner, guessing its travel wasn't central to the original game and may have been detrimental once the board started filling up with sticks.

Wonder how well it sold?

We have seen before several plays on the word top, like top-ology and top-less.

It'd be fun to collect these under a single top-ic.

PS: Turns out to be a lot of material here...

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/words-that-start-with-top
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:23:08 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Top-ography
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 02:11:00 PM »

I found a description of how to play the game here: https://boardgames.com/boardgame/top-ography

This game teaches American geography - in particular city names and locations.

Players take turns selecting either red or black and then spinning the Alphabet Top. The player then announces either the red or black letter as appropriate. Next, that player inverts the sand timer and places pegs next to cities on the map of the United States that start with the letter spun. When the sand runs out, their turn is over and play passes to the next player. The first player to place all 25 of their pegs onto the map correctly wins. If a peg is placed incorrectly, 2 additional pegs of that player are removed as a penalty.
It says it's from 1941