iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Medals will be available for all participants on the 2020 World Contest

Author Topic: Tomaldo's tops  (Read 3314 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Tomaldo's tops
« on: April 02, 2010, 10:25:04 AM »

Like in my previous 2 trips to Uruguay I visited the wood craftsman Tomás Alvarez, a.k.a. Tomaldo, who has a special love for tops. Here is a picture of him:

He gave me a couple of tops as gifts. This one was decorated by another artist with a afro "comparsa" theme from the carnival over there:

The second one is made with a solid piece of fiber-cloth-strengthened rubber similar to the one used in tires (actually used to make pulleys). It has a bolt going all the way through the axle and finishing in the tip. He told me it was very hard to turn as it would destroy his tools.  I guess it must be a pretty indestructible top.

These are other tops I got from him:

The woods are: Curupay (male and female, the wood of the two trees is quite different), Lapacho, Grapia and White Eucalyptus.

He has learned a few tricks since last time I was there but I was disappointed that he did not know of other trick players. I had Holey Ta0 with me, so he had the opportunity to look at some Yankee craftsmanship (I could not take Figaro down there this time).

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:32:57 PM by ta0 »

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Tomaldo's tops
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:47:44 PM »

Very elegant, I like the shapes he turns.  That rubber top is wicked!  Yocephus - got any material like that?

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:44:31 PM »

The second one is made with a solid piece of fiber-cloth-strengthened rubber similar to the one used in tires (actually used to make pulleys). It has a bolt going all the way through the axle and finishing in the tip. He told me it was very hard to turn as it would destroy his tools.  I guess it must be a pretty indestructible top.

Interesting material choice.  It looks like it's rather heavy and would make a great battle top--it would not show impacts and the nut on top might damage the tips of other tops that hit it.

I've seen rubber like that used for loading dock bumper pads and wheel chocks.  It is usually several 3/4 inch thick sheets of reinforced rubber held together with large bolts.  I wonder if this top is also a set of individual sheets of material held together with that through bolt.

I had Holey Ta0 with me, so he had the opportunity to look at some Yankee craftsmanship
I hope you told him that one of his semitransparent tops provided inspiration for Holey.

Did you take any pictures of his workshop and tools that you can share?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:31:39 PM »

That fiber cloth rubber top is wild.  I'd love to hear how it spins!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 11:07:57 PM »

It is in fact a heavy top (115 gr). I bet it could go to battle against my spike top without fear. I wrap it from the tip up because the undercut design of the crown tends to catch the string (like on the old Duncan wooden tops). I have done boomerangs with it and it spins smoothly.

I am not sure if it is made of one piece of reinforced rubber or the center bolt keeps several layers together.

I cannot believe that I forgot to mention to Tomaldo that Holey was inspired by his top with axial holes! Thanks for reminding me, John. I'll tell him by email.

We have always met in the living room of his house and I have never seen his workshop, but here is a picture from his website (that has not been updated in years):

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:08:37 PM »

Love that rubber top....it reminds me of my favorite tire tread sandals that I had as a kid.