iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Simonelli knock-off  (Read 2548 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: Simonelli knock-off
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2020, 11:57:49 AM »

critical speed in theory decreases with tilt angle
I don't make tests at critical speed because this makes the observations more confused. 
If you try a hard tip probably you will see a more rapid spin decay in sleeping position than while precessing.

Sorry, I was trying to say that I think you're right to suspect tip resistance.

For a given top and launch speed, lower critical speed generally means longer spin time. You can easily confirm this with a top with an adjustable CM height, as critical speed is very sensitive to CM height, but the air and tip resitances don't change.

Since the cosine function in the critical speed formula above decreases with increasing tilt (up to 90°), that formula predicts exactly what you see in your tops: Longer spin times in steady precession than in sleep.

It also means that if I'm seeing the opposite in my far-from-ideal tops, some factor not considered in the formula must be in play. That factor could well be rolling resistance, as you suggested.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 12:26:49 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Iacopo

• Immortal Member
    • Spin tops by Iacopo Simonelli, YouTube channel
Re: Simonelli knock-off
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2020, 08:34:23 AM »

lower critical speed generally means longer spin time.

Yes, I understood, anyway in those my tests I measured the spin decay and not the spin time, so I don't think that this is something related to the critical speed.

I have some data:
my top nr. 6, which topples down at about 187 RPM, with a 3/16" sapphire ball tip, on a glass mirror, lost 43 RPM while precessing and 48 RPM while in sleeping position, in two minutes, starting the stopwatch in both cases at 361 RPM, (361-318 and 361-313).
I repeated the test other two times with similar results.
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up