iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Your top tops.  (Read 5249 times)

Dizzy

• ITSA Jr.
Your top tops.
« on: March 21, 2010, 12:16:28 AM »

The inspiration for this new topic is a few of the points brought up by Jeromy and Chris in my last thread about the YYJ Top Dog vs Cinco Estrellas Turbo.

The main point they both made is that since all tops differ from one another in terms of feel, unless you have access to a nice collection so you can try out a bunch of different tops at the same time, the best you can do is to piece together a collection over time while looking out for your ideal or favorite top.

Perhaps all you spinners out there can help me get an idea of where I should go first in my search for new tops by talking a little about your favorite tops.  Or your least favorite tops.  Or both.  Tops 3, bottom 3, as much or as little as you'd like to share.  Tell me what you like about your favorites, and what you dislike about your least favorites.  Big, small, and everything in between.  All throwing tops are fair game here.

I'm a roast.

Baste me.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: Your top tops.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 02:58:00 AM »

Easy-Dizzy !! :D :D

well
my list is only true at the moment i write it
like the best guitar or best stunt kite: there is no « holy graal » for tops

bearing tops

1 strummolo / acrobat  ex-aequo
very very long spin times , totally balanced,solid, a bit too small
2 throwback
not far behind
3 quicksilver
excellent in hand and on string,a bit too heavy
4 topdog
excellent but fragile for serious play
5 mexi-turbo
long spin times a bit too light
6 dual tip bulldog
a lot of fun but fragile
7 bearing king
superb all around top
8 trompo bearing
very reliable once tuned
9 blizzard
superb all around top
10 saturno
good product and plastic

now for all around play , you can't beat a BK or a Blizzard
they are reliable, and fairly priced despite their weaknesses
on the blizzard the tip often comes out and both of them need to be taped all around to prevent them from falling apart at each shock

fixtip

Hollow point (#67)

and to finish , i really enjoy playing woodtops : you can lend them  to anybody straight away , for a go , without fear of any damage....
woodtops get people closer , bearing tops are sometimes dubbed "must be electric.. !!" or "not for me...."
woodtops keep the scars of the good moments

good day

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 03:09:48 AM »

While the training go ahead, the favourite top concept evolved.

The top ones:
1.- Spintastics trompo grande (with personal tip).
2.- Trompo cometa Tornado (with modified tip).
3.- Hollow point (with Ta0's tip).
4.- Spintastics Quick Silver (with trompo grande cup and personal tip).
5.- Trompos Space Saturno (with personal tip and modified string kit).

The "allways into the cupboard" series:
1.- Duncan imperial.
2.- Trompo cometa Minicar.

Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 01:26:44 PM »

your post made me realize something: i don't own many bearing-tip tops. the only ones i have are bearing kings and blizzards, and i don't play with them that often. i have really been working on my fixed-tip play. with that in mind, the tops i play with most (in no particular order) are:

1. ripcord - cheap, slightly oversized, needs tape to prevent damage. the slit in the crown is garbage. string too short. still a good top.
2. quicksilver (crown removed) - big and heavy, not recommended for beginners, a trompo grande would be an acceptable replacement.
3. tornado - nice price and well balanced, slightly more rugged than my ripcords. seem small after playing with a ripcord.
4. torpedo (crown removed) - really light but the narrow body makes snap-starts easy, didin't like the o-rings so i took them out.

the tornado just made the list recently. i've been working on snap-starts lately and remove the crowns to force me to snap-start more often (and i think they play better with lower center of gravity). i use stock tips on all my tops. i don't own any "bad" tops, just tops that play differently.

MatiasStuntMan

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 03:15:08 PM »

Each top has its own personality. I really love my Spintastics Gladiators with the modified tip and solder ring on the outside, these are the ones that I use when trying to learn a trick. Then the Trompo Grande, I learned to regenerate with one with a modified tip. Then my modified Ripcord, once I can do a trick with the Spintastics then I try it with my Ripcord, as a proof check. I don't play much with the bearing types, and my blizzard just doesn't really spin, and the tip falls off very easy, which sucks, that discouraged me to use the Mexican Turbo bearing and the Trompo Grande with the bearing tip. The Mexican Jumbo with Salvador's tip is awesome, and I agree with Jim the wooden tops, like the Colombian style, are just a delight to play with, kinda old school feeling. I only have player tops, so I love them all.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 06:46:29 PM »

Favorite fixed:  Strommol8 STB
Favorite bearing:  Strommol8 STB

Even though I am on the Strommol8 team, that is my honest answer.  The Delrin body and stainless steel tip make me fearless - not worried about dinging it up, maring the tip, or jaming the bearing.  Incredibly smooth and versatile.  Boomerang can be a little tricky because the delrin doesn't grab the string well, but that's my only issue with it.  Next in line would be the weighted Gates top, with custom delrin tip (would rather the tip be steel)

I keep a healthy stock of heavily modified Gladiators and Rip Cords around.  I learned to regenerate and snap start with a stock no-weight Rip Cord.   
Cinco Estrellas Ultras and Colors are the best tops for the money, IMO... All you have to do is balance it, and you're ready to go... and very good players for how light they are. 
The HP is probably the most popular for learning regens.   

I don't play bearing much.  After I learned to regenerate, bearing tops just seem... limited.  When one-way bearing tops come out, I will have to change my story.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 03:16:38 PM »

Maurizio's top = strommolo 8
since i received mine last week I can't help playing with it all the time
like chris said
The Delrin body and stainless steel tip make me fearless - not worried about dinging it up, maring the tip, or jaming the bearing.  Incredibly smooth and versatile.

a high-end bearing top

jim

Darren Kim

• Gold Member
    • This Blog is Crucial
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 12:27:12 AM »

Congrats Joe on being a part of such a wonderful team!

I haven't thrown a Strommolo 8. In fact I have never spun a Quicksilver, TopDog, Watts top, or throwback or acrobat.

However, my top list will go as follows:
Best.

1) Gates Top -never owned one, but when I play with someone's, its like getting touched by an angel, in a good way.
2) Ripcord/ BK -for $10-20, you can't beat that. They are balanced enough, cheap enough, and reliable enough. So thats what I use 4 freestyles.
3) Bull Dog -still can't find out what makes these feathery tops play so well

Worst.
-Happy meal tops
-Duncan Imperial (stock)

Imperials are junk, but they are still fun junk!
Spin top is the new yo-yo

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 10:52:03 PM »

1- Jumbo
2- Ancient Jumbo
3- Alien
4- Super Trompo.
5- Cinco Estrellas
6- Colombian Wood tops.
7- Aluminium Trompo Grande.
8- Plastic TRompo Grande.
9- Cometa
10- Trompo Campeón( Bad Copy of Jumbo Premier First Generation, but plays so well...)
 All of them in fixed tip.

No doubt, the best of ballbearing tip, is the Italian Strummolo 8

Any way, every top I like.