iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Camp Top Spinning  (Read 3789 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Camp Top Spinning
« on: July 06, 2009, 07:29:14 AM »

I just returned from a week of camp for our junior high youth.  It was at Lutheran Memorial Camp which is where John Buechele worked for several years.  He is a legend there.  I was asked several times if I know him and if I can do some of the tricks he does.  "You are almost as good as John" some would say!

The week was a good one for introducing top spinning.  I'd say at least 20 new throwers were introduced to the fun of battle tops.  I left 10 tops in the camp store for them to sell.  We'll see how this works out.

This coming week is a week of day camp at my church.  I hope to introduce many more to top spinning and get them ready for our annual Whirled Top Festival on August 22nd.  If all goes well, Don Olney could be our special guest at this 10th fest!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
Re: Camp Top Spinning
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:13:34 PM »

Thats great news Mike. And as usual you are too kind and too modest. If only they knew. You should have told them that I wouldn't even know tops if it weren't for you. Glad to hear that camp was fun.

RunBMC

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 11:39:42 AM »

what and where is the whirled top festival?
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 06:22:04 PM »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Whirled Top Festival!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:08:51 PM »

Thanks for asking about our local top festival here in Southwest Ohio (Miamisburg is about an hour north of Cincinnati).  This is our tenth year and we have been doing what we can to develop top throwers and bring them along bit by bit.  We have asked the original Toycrafter (Don Olney) to be with us again this year, as he was on the first year of our fest.  Hope that can still work out for him.

Even if other top spinners aren't improving, I am!  This fest has done wonders for my spinning.  It will again be tied in with our local "car show" so there will be plenty of people wandering around.  Last year we had over 40 kids throwing and trying to earn gold coins (dollar coins).  The winning team gets the $100 pot.  There were a bunch of others throwing (about a dozen adults) plus lots of others watching and cheering on the participants. 

RunBMC

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »

Great! i live in northern kentucky. if i see any of you im Beau Compton. (the one whereing the longhorn hat)