iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spintop lineages  (Read 16905 times)

Eric

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • Eric's Photo Website
Re: Spintop lineages
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 10:32:21 AM »

As for me, I started throwing tops in the '60 - Duncan wood and plastic tops.  I learned the basics from a Duncan booklet.  Does that put me in the Schreiber camp too?
To everything turn, turn, turn..................

Dizzy

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 04:16:05 PM »

Here's my story:

Chapter 1

Back in 2001 I was shopping for some craft supplies at a Ben Franklin store in Des Moines, Iowa.  These stores have a small toy aisle similar to what you might find at a pharmacy or a small grocery, and it was there that I found my first top.  They had a few wooden BC tops that for some reason caught my interest and I bought all 3 that they had (one of which I still have).  In subsequent visits to the store, they never had the tops again.

I had a vague idea of how they worked, but I had never seen anyone throw a top and the instructions weren't helping me get started.  After two solid hours of frustration, I gave up on the directions and called my then 60 year-old father for help.  As I had guessed, my dad said he played with tops regularly as a kid and he was able to walk me through my first successful throw. 

I really enjoyed these tops at the time even though all I could do with them was spin, scoop and sky-rocket.  I was not even aware of the boomerang or trapeze throws, let alone all the tricks that progress from these two fundamentals.  Eventually I grew bored with the tops and put them away, but I still got them out every once in awhile to mess around with them a little or show them to friends.

Chapter 2

Back in August my wife Connie and I had our first baby.  Recent and frustrating Christmas shopping had shown me how short Pensacola is on specialty toy stores, so in January I was web searching for some interesting toys for Wyatt when I came across the site for Active People.  They make really cool toys for all ages, including astrojax, which I always kind of liked.  They had some embedded videos of some people doing really cool things with astrojax so I went to youtube to see more.  There I came across videos with all kinds of different skill toys.  One of these was a video with spintops posted by one cowgirlsam, who I understand is none other than our very own SpinQueen!

I was totally blown away by what she (and her kids) could do with tops.  I had never seen anything like it.  After another half-hour of videos (some by ta0 I think) I was badly hooked.  So much for toys for little Wyatt!  I have always had a small fascination with skill toys, but I never had the desire to master any of them until I saw those spintop videos.  Within another 15 minutes I had ordered a Blizzard and a Sidewinder, and I have not been able to put them down since (except for when Wyatt won't stop crying ).

I am very glad to have stumbled onto this fun and challenging hobby, and I'm pleased to be a part of the community here as well.

I hope to be able to contribute something here soon.   Until then, I think I will mostly be asking lots of questions of all you experts out there.

SpinQueen, thanks for that first video.

Ta0, thanks for the great site.

And to all the rest, all the best!

And who is Jim Schreiber?

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 10:29:34 PM »

Awesome! That made me smile  ;D  ;D

Darren Kim

• Gold Member
    • This Blog is Crucial
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 10:41:04 PM »

Yup that was him actually. And that's the website I learned my tricks from.

This is a great thread Walter!

Darrin, did you mean Lao Alovus?

Herman Lau (13th floor video was my favorite trick)
RE:  http://www.topspinning.com/videos/Lao%20Alovus/13th%20Floor.mpg
Spin top is the new yo-yo

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 04:59:20 PM »

Welcome to the fascinating world of tops.  Good to have you on board.
You asked who Jim Schreiber is.  Check out his name on the search engine on this site and your question will be answered.  He is the Granddaddy top spinner.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 06:36:31 PM »

And who is Jim Schreiber?
You'll find most of your answers in this post:  http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php?topic=591.0
It starts off about his video, but scroll around a bit.

Also, a tip for searching, be sure you are on the forum's Index page before your search.  If you are on a topic page, it will only search from there "down" so to speak.

Jon Gates

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 01:15:33 PM »

I learned to wind and spin from Bob Rule in 1990, later that year Dale Oliver taught me the snap start and told me about regenerating spin. 1993 I got my first watts top (a replica of Jim Schreiber's top) and I met Walter Watts and Don Winters this is when I started to learn regenerate the spin. everything else I was self taught.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 03:54:49 PM »

salut Jon !

you learned from bob rule ?? great to hear that!!
so ,all in all ,you've done 20 years of spintop practice !and got the snap start for over 15 years:!

amazing!

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 05:03:42 PM »

Good to see your post, Jon Gates.  Have thought of you many times.  Your self teaching has passed my old school top spinning by miles.  Good for you. :)

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 05:30:29 PM »

So what does a replica of Jim Schreiber's top look like?  Or perhaps better yet, the original???
Erratic Wobbler

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 12:53:35 PM »

The replica  of Jim Schreiber's tops can be found on Watts'tops.com.  I do not know how to transfer pictures to this site although I have tried follow directions or I would post a few pictures.  Sorry. :(

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 04:58:39 PM »

It can be confusing.  I'll try to show you how I do it:
1) If the image is already on the web, right-click on it and "copy image URL"
2) Go to the post reply screen and click the button just above the first smiley, it will place the following code (without apostrophe):
       ['img][/img]
3) Paste (ctrl+V) the URL between the ][ brackets

If the image is not already on the web, you have to upload it to something like Flickr or Photobucket

These are the only pics I can find on Wattstops.com:

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2010, 09:27:03 PM »

Thanks Chris.  You did it.  I will try follow your directions tomorrow. ;D

Spamgray

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 04:34:41 AM »

Mine was through my Father, Alan.