iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spintop lineages  (Read 14279 times)

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
Spintop lineages
« on: March 08, 2010, 05:36:28 PM »

Another bit of observation. 
Of all the top spinners I know, have met, personally, etc., all but one has roots leading back to Jim Schreiber.  Many through those who have personally learned from and they from others down the line.  I met one (by internet) that learned on his own with no teacher.
Now that I am on this blog, I am finding others that have no roots to Jim.  It would be fun to find out the the roots of some of the "top"  :) :)top spinners in the world.  Who do you trace your top spinning skills back too?  Would make an interesting new subject.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

MatiasStuntMan

Re: Spintop lineages
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:04:31 PM »

I have to say that different than seeing Don Antonio test his trompos after he makes them I have never seen in person any real pro top spinner, not even in Colombia,  but now with the internet (youtube) and with the very detailed Ta0's videos and descriptions I have learned a lot!!! So I think that Jorge Alcoz is now the new Top Evangelizator!!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:00:08 PM »

I started learning around 1998-99. I learned the spinner from the instructions that came with the Monarch. Then I really started learning from the internet and the instructional videos from Spintastics and Duncan. Several years passed before I met the first player that could do a boomerang in person, and by that time I was already preparing to compete at worlds: Dale Oliver a few months before W04, which I attended. If the players on those videos (e.g., Dale & Val, Steve, Herman) trace their roots to the Duncan demonstrators then, indirectly, I should also trace mine to Schreiber, I guess.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »

14 years ago next month (1996) I quit my day job to do Spintastics, Yo-Yo Fun & Science of Spin Program.  Dale Oliver had to teach me a few top tricks to do that part of the program.  I had never played with a top that needed a string.  After I started going to Nationals and Worlds I got help from others as well, but Dale started it for me.
Practice hard and play safe.

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 11:12:53 PM »

My original spin top interest is because of a certain Mr. Jon Gates.  He taught me to wind, boomerang and balance, somewhere between the years of 1997 and 1999.

My recent spin top interest is because of a certain Mr. ta0, and subsequently, the players on this board.  My trick hero is Gerardo Montero.

Darren Kim

• Gold Member
    • This Blog is Crucial
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 12:02:56 AM »

Jon Gates also got me addicted to spin tops.
I have been yo-yoing since 6th grade, which was 2005. I had been yo-yoing for a year, and attending clubs on weekends. One day, I decided to try spinning tops, because it looked so freakin cool when Jon did it. I threw a top a few times, and messed up badly, but I wanted one, so I called my mom to ask if I could get one, and she said no, because I would just end up spending tons of money on those as well as yo-yos (she was right).

I was bummed, but as fate would have it, next week at club, Jon had a fun "sleeper" contest with yo-yos. I wasn't great at yo-yoing at that time, but I managed to get 3rd place, and the prizes were bearing king tops. I got the red, radish like one. Must have been fate! As everyone who first got a duncan top, I broke it on the first throw at my house. (No worries, scotch tape)

My mom worked at an elementary school at the time, in a computer lab with high speed internet. It took me two weeks from the time that I first got my top, and was able to catch it on my hand. I learned how to balance a top at that school, by videos at topspinning.com and at ta0.com (Thanks Jorge!) The feeling when you are first able to catch a top on your hand and control it has to be one of the coolest feelings ever! I also learned how to merry go round, as my first trick that day.

So that's how I started spinning tops. It's so cool how I would not be here typing these words, had one of these factors been different.

Really, I should say thank you to everyone who had a hand in me starting tops so here it goes!

Thank you:
Jon Gates
Jorge Alcoz
Herman Lau (13th floor video was my favorite trick)
Matt
Micah
Joe

Alex Bortz (friend who asked Jon if we could try his top)
Mom (for being right, and supporting me once I started competing)

Thank you all. That's my roots.
Spin top is the new yo-yo

Trevor

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 01:33:28 AM »

I started out throwing yoyos then moving on to poi & contact juggling. Was aware of spintops but somehow never got interested until I saw some videos of Takeshi doing tangler & cockscrews. Man, was so inspired but had no one to teach me and had no tops (almost no one sold spintops in Singapore for a long long time) to start out. Was thankful to Takeshi who sent me some BKs to start me off.  I screwed at throwing tops initially and almost gave up until ta0 who saw my painted BK on YYN's forum redirected me to this forum . . .  ;D .  was from here that i was able to access much more resources and learn to throw properly. Also got myself the "how to be a player" dvd where i saw our Mr Neff in action (you all should watch it, Chris is hilariously awesome/awesomely hilarious in the dvd!). 

I guess my roots really started with the Duncan folks of Takeshi, Chris Neff & Steve Brown.

But thanks to Takeshi, ta0 & Chris Neff and the many forum folks who have been so encouraging!   
Trevor

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:28:21 AM by Trevor »

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 08:30:30 AM »

I don't remember exactly how I started but I'm pretty sure watching Steve Brown throw his big pink Watt's had something to do with getting me interested.  That would have had to have been back around 2000.  I even competed in the top competition at World's that year (or maybe it was the next year).  I remember it being the year that Dale started making the steel tips.

Good times...and more to come :)

Rob

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 12:50:18 PM »

I got my start just after Halloween of 05 or 06, I can't remember which. My costume that year was a 1950's paperboy, and I had shoved an old flyback yo-yo in my pocket as part of the costume.  The kids loved the yo-yo and that reminded me that I had some old wooden top "thing" as well, that had been given to me from one of my kids years earlier.  As I described the top (a wooden Mexican top complete with nail tip) to my coworker, he told me that he knew how to work it.  The following day I dug out that old top (not really old..more like early 90's) and brought it to work.  Both our headmaster (who was from Algeria) and my coworker (who was from Morocco) both played with tops as children.  The didn't have all of the fancy plastic toys that I grew up with.  They were both very excited to try their hand at my top and show me their stuff. Bouchaib, my coworker had the best overhand killer throw that I've seen to date...and he was often able to "kick-start the top on the ground.  Too bad I didn't learn that from him before he left.   So after my first throw or two, I was hooked.  The kids and I loved this spinning top thing, so I looked online and found The Toycrafter, and we all became hooked at battling tops in snow discs.  In fact we couldn't get enough, so after around a year of continuous battle play, I did some further research and found Spintastics.  I ordered a bunch of tops from Dale and some tops from Duncan as well, and began learning and teaching tricks from the videos on the Spintastics website, and the Duncan 'How to be a Player video".   After getting so many orders from California's Bay Area...(mainly our little school)..Dale decided to pay us a visit, along with his good friend Cliff Coleman, and do a demo for our school.   I'll never forget watching Dale and Cliff play RCS catch.  I thought I'd never learn that trick...and now my kids are doing it :)   I found trying to learn RCS and other regen tricks by watching videos very difficult. Thankfully Nationals is in CA, so eventually, after some pointers from Cliff and Alan G, I was able to get the hang of RCS and progress to other regens as well. 

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA Jr.
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 01:33:55 PM »

I am one of the fortunate ones to be in the Schreiber lineage through Don Olney.  I have my youngest son to thank for dragging me to top workshops at IJA juggling fests in Burlington, Vermont (1994) and Las Vegas (1995).    When I accepted a call to a congregation in Miamisburg and they were trying to liven up their historic downtown I suggested an event centered around the historic top.    Each year when we brought in special guests I tried to learn something new from them.   I never dreamed I would ever get to the world championships.....much less ever compete.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 02:10:40 PM »

This is a great thread Walter!

Darrin, did you mean Lao Alovus?

Herman Lau (13th floor video was my favorite trick)
RE:  http://www.topspinning.com/videos/Lao%20Alovus/13th%20Floor.mpg

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 04:28:47 PM »

Several have mentioned Dale Oliver.  Dale, who is responsible for your learning tops?

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 05:22:42 PM »

Dale does not read this board.  :'(

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 06:01:02 PM »

I asked Dale and others this same question a while back.  Dale told me that he learned in hotel room (from Fred Mills and Don winters?) along with several duncan demonstrators.  When I get back home, I'll find the details (right now I'm waiting for a delayed flight in Wilmington NC...). 

@ Ta0, I also asked Dale where Herman Lau learned--Dale said he thought Herman learned from watching film of Forest Larson and Bob Rule.  I wish I had a copy of that film!

Here's a link to the post on the old board where we discussed this topic a bit--I love hearing/learning our spin top history!
http://www.topspinning.com/toptalk/viewpost.php?post=15069

http://www.mryoyo.com/Players/50s60sLeadPage.html
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 06:14:53 PM by poptop »
Erratic Wobbler

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 09:58:48 PM »

In the letters from Schreiber's file, there is one from somebody who visited Joe Mauk in Philippines, not that long ago. About Mauk it says: "He learned from a man named Jim Steed who learned it from Jim Schreiber. He told me that Jim called him his top spinning grandson."

Dale does not read this board.  :'(
Probably not often  But he did a couple of days ago . . . ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up