iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spintop lineages  (Read 14076 times)

Jon Gates

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Spintop lineages
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 09:20:53 PM »

walt told me that this was "just like the top Jim Schreiber used" same size and color.
the gates top was strongly influenced by this shape.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:07:06 PM by Jon Gates »

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 09:50:52 PM »

Thanks Jon!  Nice to see it is well used :D
Erratic Wobbler

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 10:39:21 PM »

Jon was definitely a big influence for me learning to regenerate. However, it was Rick Prevett that really got me hooked on spin tops. I assume that Walter Watts had a big influence on Rick. So it was probably Jim Schreiber who ultimately got us into tops.

Jon Gates

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 12:31:39 PM »

so this makes me wonder..... Who taught Jim Schreiber?

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »

Jon,  Your beat up  top looks wonderful.  That must be one of the original ones with an aluminum points.  It seems to me that we added some weight to it in Vermont.  Am I talking about the same top?

I never heard where or how Jim Schreiber learned to spin tops.  He just did and I never thought to ask him while he worked with me and others.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

mtntop

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2010, 08:13:48 PM »

Frank Taggart who I work with  brought me a video from Duncan he had just got it with a yoyo he bought from a discount store. I saw Steve Brown doing counter weight tricks!! Wow I had no Idea so off to buy a yoyo at the chest  purchase compleated I walked out the front door and strings be flying om-gosh wow what a show yo-yo club was on. I had done diablo pins rings ect. Tops are hard you have to love them and want to learn wow what a journey every second spent is worth a million I love it!! So who Taught me tops !!!
  Jon Gates for sure and I got some really good one on One training from Matt an employee at the Wizards Chest, Darren and I started at the same time I guess it was a perfect storm I got into juggling in Colorado but the Wizards Chest, Jon, Matt,  And Darren got me spinning. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:39:20 PM by mtntop »
Spinning In Mind

Jon Gates

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2010, 09:17:39 PM »

That top was made before you started to put a # on them. this is the one with a aluminum tip. it has been balanced with nails pounded into the light side of the top. I bought it from you at the IJA meet in Fargo. I remember that you had about 15 to 20 tops laying out to sell. I picked this one up and you seemed very excited that I wanted that top. you told me that this was a top just like jim used. I have not played with it for about 10 years because it has a big chunk wood missing on the side. some day I will repair it and it will spin again.... Oh yes, it will spin again!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA Jr.
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2010, 10:21:15 PM »

I was there in Fargo and I remember seeing those tops laying out on the ground.  It was all too much for me at the time (1993 I believe) as I was heavily into joggling.  But I noticed them and was amazed at their size.  I had my hands too full with all the possibilities in juggling while running, though.  I remember seeing a very thin Jon Gates running around with all the yo-yo guys (to be fair, I was a lot thinner then too).  I wish I would have paid more attention and gotten into top spinning a little earlier.

Good luck with the repair of that top, Jon.  I'm anxious to hear about it spinning again.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 02:50:37 AM »

John. Your answer about aluminium tips change definitively my idea about only-steel tips.

Good players can use that tips without problems. And are easy to mechanize. Maurizio tops come with such material tip, and after a initial refusing the idea was becoming greater in my mind.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2010, 10:07:26 PM »

Thanks Jon for the response.  I quit making aluminum tips.  They are not as durable as steel and they mark floors.  The entire top has evolved some since 93.

Where did the rest get your start in tops?  I am reading a lot of fascinating stories. Keep them coming. :D

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2010, 09:52:49 AM »

i've enjoyed the stories as well.

since i am relatively new to spintops, my story isn't quite as long (or interesting). how i got started: well, i started with yo-yos and never really heard too much about tops until YYF put out their promo video for their spintops. at that point i realized how amazing tops are and what you can do with them (ironically, i still don't own a YYF top). after that, everything was just a google search away. technically, i learned from ta0, Steve Brown, Lao Alolus, Herman Lau, Dale and Val, Jon Gates, Miggy, Dave Bazan, csam, Felix Avellana, Matt Ritter, countless others...just about anyone that has put a video on the internet. of course, i've met some of these people in person, but mostly i learn by watching freestyle videos and tutorials. i think the internet has really opened up the sport and how it develops.

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2010, 10:00:11 AM »

Agentsac,  Thanks for posting--great top linage.  I am looking forward to hundreds that learn top spinning just like you have. 8)

mtntop

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2010, 11:01:48 AM »

Yes Agentsac I too believe the internet deserves a big hand for helping us meet, learn, communicate, and share. Without this amazing link we would all be quite isolated but now we talk all around the world, so instead of spinning with one or two or none others we all spin together every day and invite others to join in.

Spin On, Log ON, Rock ON

Darren Kim

• Gold Member
    • This Blog is Crucial
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2010, 12:14:46 AM »

It's so cool how almost every one here was influenced by someone else here, through either personal contact or video, who was influenced by Jim
Spin top is the new yo-yo

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2010, 08:30:31 PM »

Darren, 
This has been my observation as well.  We go back to Jim Schreiber over and over.   I love the stories I'm reading.  Keep them coming.  Where, from whom, how, did you learn to spin a top and why are you doing it? :)