iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Chained gyration  (Read 1186 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Chained gyration
« on: December 27, 2019, 12:10:48 AM »

A recent discussion of bouncing tops reminded me of this gizmo from last summer -- a dual-spin top with bouncing rotor. I call it "chained gyration".

The green octagonal "rotor" freely slides and rotates on the mostly black "spindle" carrying the stem, tip, and rotor stops. The gold chains connecting rotor and spindle transmit torque from one to the other while variously allowing and limiting relative motion between them. The whole thing's surprisingly durable.

When rotor and spindle angular speeds diverge, the chains wind up on the spindle, and the rotor quickly rises to the upper stop. When the top is still, or when rotor and spindle speeds equilibrate under chain action and bearing friction, gravity pushes the rotor onto the lower stop.

Dual-spin

In the spacecraft biz, "dual-spin" refers to a vehicle with 2 main components -- platform and body -- capable of relative rotation about a common axis. Typically, the body spins continuously to stabilize the common axis in space, while the antenna- or camera- or solar panel-bearing platform is aimed at various targets. Most communications satellites use dual-spin designs.

You can get some pretty cool mechanical and visual effects out of dual- and triple-spin tops. I've made well over a dozen now with many more effects yet to be explored.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 09:43:09 AM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Chained gyration
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 06:35:53 AM »

Nice! I don't recall any vintage top like that: I would say you invented a new type of top  8)  So, you just disproved yourself  :P :

No surprise -- little if anything truly new in the world of top design nowadays. Not counting materials, you can find a prior example of nearly any "new" top in Cyril's collection alone.

You should now design one made of conventional materials and optimized for maximum number of bounces. Then you can sell it through Grand Illusions  ;)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 09:14:27 AM »

Nice! I don't recall any vintage top like that: I would say you invented a new type of top  8)  So, you just disproved yourself  :P :

Wow, a good thing to be wrong about! Disturbing though, as I've already been wrong once this year. (By my count. Wife's is a lot higher.) ;)

You should now design one made of conventional materials and optimized for maximum number of bounces. Then you can sell it through Grand Illusions  ;)

Next step is to get some sustained bouncing by putting short, soft springs between the rotor and the hard stops above and below.

No suitable LEGO coil springs, so will have to find elsewhere. If anyone has a good small spring source, need close to a 4.8 mm (3/16 in) ID -- preferably under 8 mm in length.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 09:44:38 AM by Jeremy McCreary »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 03:25:06 AM »

The good news: Inserting very soft springs between the rotor and the hard stops above and below led to...
1. Smoother operation due to softened rotor-stop impacts.
2. A lot less low-speed wobble with the rotor unclamped. (Guessing the springs damped out certain rotor vibrations.)
3. No significant spin time penalty.

Keeping the CM as low as possible to preserve spin time really limited bottom spring length. Of all the small springs on hand, this one struck the best compromise between length and stiffness.

The bad news: Never got the rotor to bounce after release. And the odds of finding springs with just the right lengths and stiffnesses look slim.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 03:31:14 AM by Jeremy McCreary »