iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: No holster - have no fear  (Read 3713 times)

Trevor

• Gold Member
No holster - have no fear
« on: February 09, 2010, 02:47:14 AM »

Been thinking how to carry my top around wherever i go but the traditional plastic holster jus doesn't quite fit well.  Stroke of inspiration taken off from my yoyo holster.  This fits tops with a hole at the crown, jus pop the rubber ball in & out to release/hold. The black elastic cord is jus added security (fits better without the top string).

That's my BK with a hole made at the crown, filled the gap with epoxy before drilling a hole through it.  No lathe so it was a though job but heck it's plays well thou. Loving my new "topless" top.  ;D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: No holster - have no fear
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 10:35:38 AM »

I would have never recognized the BK! That is hard-core modding! Great looks on the holster.

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 07:22:10 PM »

Great idea for a holster!  That top looks really sweet, Trevor.  Wish I would have grabbed some clear BK's when they were around.  Curious, did you get the hole-in-the-cap idea from yocephus' mod or do we have some simultaneous invention going on here?  The epoxy prior to hole is a great idea!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:24:43 PM by yophosis »

Trevor

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 12:31:16 AM »

Thanks for the compliments ta0 & Chris.

@ Chris : yep, that idea came from Tom's mod. I noticed Tom trimmed the crown down pass the groove (for the ripcord), but I felt that was kinda low, as it would leave only a very narrow area for the top string to loop around. Hence the idea of filling the groove with epoxy so that I can determine the height of that crown wall i wanted. It also made it easier to cut through the crown (using screwdriver & drill).  Without epoxy, the groove causes lotsa jerking and misalignment. 

The initial holster did not include the bouncyball counterweight. Was figuring how to get the cord wrap around the crown without slipping off when it struck me in the middle of the nite i could pop a ball counterweightl in & out the hole, and its still secured enough! Hadda get up and work at it till i got the final product. :) that few hours less of sleep was worth it.

the BK now has 2 rubber weight rings in them to give that extra rim weight.

Romano911

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 02:08:29 PM »

Uber cool -- that is a very good look.

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 03:05:19 PM »

Nice!!!!

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »

I hadn't thought about the epoxy helping the drilling, great tip!

Those rubber weight rings kinda tick me off, they'll adjust position after a hard hit, throwing off the balance (I'm really finicky about tops spinning as smooth as possible).  I use a metal weight ring from a Super Yo Wildcat that seems to stay put better for my BK (prefer no weight in the RC's), not sure if those are available to you, but I think I read somewhere FAST 201 weight rings work?  Since yours has the hole in it, it would be rather easy to adjust an out-of-place o-ring though.

One more thing... Who's Tom?

Trevor

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:54:15 PM »

the 2 rubber rings are kinda pressed together due to lack of space at the crown area, so they're pretty secured now. i know wat u mean abt them going out of place, happens alot with 1 ring especially. yup, metal weight rings of diff size are available at some hardware stores here, but not easily restock. found a store here selling but no stock for the size to fit BK. will have to wait a while.

Opps I got Tom Connolly (yothomas) mixed up with yocephus! that's the problem when we're using nicks instead of actual names. Haha, my bad. yes i was referring to yocephus' mod, i saw the one he sent u also, really cool!

I hadn't thought about the epoxy helping the drilling, great tip!

Those rubber weight rings kinda tick me off, they'll adjust position after a hard hit, throwing off the balance (I'm really finicky about tops spinning as smooth as possible).  I use a metal weight ring from a Super Yo Wildcat that seems to stay put better for my BK (prefer no weight in the RC's), not sure if those are available to you, but I think I read somewhere FAST 201 weight rings work?  Since yours has the hole in it, it would be rather easy to adjust an out-of-place o-ring though.

One more thing... Who's Tom?