iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Snap Starts  (Read 3617 times)

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
Snap Starts
« on: August 14, 2018, 11:58:58 AM »

All right, so far I've been working on the Spintastics patches and I've got up to the 24 trick set.  Currently working on the freestyle (maybe I was overambitious in my trick selection,but it should be fun once I get consistent).  I'm also starting to work on snap starts and that's where my question is, what's the easiest/ most preferred regen technique to use on a snapstart?  Any general suggestions for snap starting?  I took your suggestions a got myself a QS Hybrid (very nice top), so that's what I'm using to practice.

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
Re: Snap Starts
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 06:35:20 PM »

what kind of surface do you have on that qs hybrid? i used to practice the snap to hand with the lower half of the  lightest tops i could find, duncan imperial lower half usually, if you're going straight to the string i think most prefer drumbeat... my qs lower half was slick so i used steel wool to polish it until it was more grippy but if yours is the anodized kind you might not want to remove the pretty colours... nexcare makes a waterproof bandage tape that's pretty grippy, if i was just starting i might try putting a few pieces of that on the top where i put my fingers for the snap.
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 06:40:52 PM »

It's anodized, so I probably won't be modifying the surface at all.  I feel like I can get the snap itself started pretty well (I'm used to snap starting yoyos), but I'll try messing around with the tape and other tops to see if extra grip helps.  What's the purpose of removing the top half of the top?

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 08:29:33 PM »

a lower center of gravity makes it fall over slower (precess slower), and taking the cap off lowers the center of gravity, i suppose it might be personal preference... if you are popping to a sideways regen (drumbeat or sewing machine or joker choker) it may not be as important... my qs is an original, not a hybrid, so the cap was aluminum too, so the weight of the cap was a lot more significant, your experience may be very much different if you leave the plastic cap on...

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 10:57:06 PM »

Good to know, thanks!

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 12:11:05 PM »

I would also suggest you to try snap starting with two hands (easiest for me) and the foot start like the one Jorge used at worlds...

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 02:56:16 PM »

Very interesting!  I'll have to give it a try.

unini

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 03:04:46 PM »

what helped me a lot to learn it, was to always carry a small mexican top and to train whenever i went to the bus or subway or was waiting somewhere :) i did just try snapping and catching it on my palm all the time. only at the point where i had learned to get a proper speed and stability, i would start trying to go into rollercoaster and then, that didnt take much time to learn.

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 06:36:39 PM »

Good idea

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 09:08:13 AM »

Well, I started utilizing some of the advice last night, and I did it!  I wondered if I really was just not getting enough spin on the QS Hybrid, so I  switched over to a short circuit.  I can snap this one a lot faster due to the size and weight difference.  After about 20 or 30 min I had a successful snap, drumbeat, and hand finish.  Thanks guys!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 01:35:15 PM »

Great! Congratulations! Post a video and add the "snap top club" logo to your signature  :)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 03:12:42 PM »

Go Jospin!!!  Good work.  You are an inspiration to all.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 03:28:32 PM »

Well, I started utilizing some of the advice last night, and I did it!  I wondered if I really was just not getting enough spin on the QS Hybrid, so I  switched over to a short circuit.  I can snap this one a lot faster due to the size and weight difference.  After about 20 or 30 min I had a successful snap, drumbeat, and hand finish.  Thanks guys!

Wow... 20 to 30 min... I need to work more on my snaps... I am incapable of doing it... !?!
GOOD JOB!!!
Spinning is life!!!!

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 09:26:34 AM »

snap start is something I'd really like to be able to do. will be looking for some pointers in Miamisburg on this...as well as some other tricks. we are just one week away from the event!

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 10:01:10 PM »

Great! Congratulations! Post a video and add the "snap top club" logo to your signature  :)
Awesome!  I’ll try to get one tomorrow.  I was working at it again today and had a few more successes, this time with my QS hybrid.
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up