iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Questions about 2010 Nationals  (Read 8454 times)

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Questions about 2010 Nationals
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 01:45:52 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to write all that out, Alan.  I support everything written above.  It's unfortunate there isn't time to share the main stage, but I'd rather reduce the time strain than add to it.  I had a theory that fixed would outscore bearing, thanks for confirming that, for this reason I totally agree with one-way bearing tips in fixed division only.

I appreciate your efforts and please let me know if there is any way I can help.  :D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 09:24:52 AM »

Yes, thanks a lot Alan for the work you do to keep the spintop contests going. And thanks to Thad and Bob Malowney for making room for us at the US national yo-yo contest.

I like a lot these ideas. We probably need 3 official titles: Bearing Spintop National Champion, Fixed-tip Spintop National Champion, Overall Spintop National Champion.

The small stage area would serve as the backdrop.
Do you mean this?:

I think it will work nicely. We may even  find that we have enough time on the small stage for other spintop activities  ;D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 10:56:34 PM »

Hmmmmm.......a 12' by 8' stage?  I guess I will have to cut down on some of my dancing moves.  I will try to contain myself.

No one has said anything about the height available.  Hope there is at least eight feet for my stilts.  At 56 years of age a cracked head doesn't heal as quickly as it used to.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 10:04:11 AM »

It would be nice if the backdrop included the wording "National Spinning Top Contest." (or "National Spintop Contest") I would be willing to donate some money for that, if required.

The tree in front of the stage may be in a inconvenient place, I am not sure.

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »

Hmm, I'm not sure about that stage....someone might get run over by that train.   Perhaps they could build the new platform to butt up against the taller of the two steps of the small stage so that it fits flush against the top level...that would give the spin-top players a bit more room so we wouldn't feel as though we're going to fall off the edge.  I'm just sayin....if they're going to go through the trouble of building something...a little planning could go a long way.   Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:42:44 PM by SpinQueen »

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 02:00:02 PM »

Ta0, did you miss that this stage would also be used by the yo-yo ladder, and the diabolo ladder & freestyles?
Practice hard and play safe.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 02:48:28 PM »

...someone might get run over by that train.   
I think that's a trolly - wait - Cable Car!  Ha!
From Alan's text I interpret that our new stage would be positioned in front of steps, and it may have to be because of the little trees.  Thinking about Spin Queen's idea... since the concrete step is curved, it could be a little tricky to butt the wood stage to the concrete, but what if we put the new stage on top of the concrete, butting up to the Trolly, and extend out beyond the curved steps with posts in the corners resting on the sidewalk (assuming it is no less than 8 feet from the Trolly to the grass). This would make the stage a little higher for visibility, and would help prevent any foot traffic behind the stage.  Just an idea.

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 12:50:37 AM »

I like that idea Chris.  I really hate it when people walk behind the action.

I don't know what we are going to do when one-way bearing tops hit their stride.  I think it's not really fair to have them in either division, but I am loathe to say we should add a separate one-way bearing division.  Not only am I not a fan of ever-growing numbers of divisions, but we also have a very small pool of competitors, so I hate to dilute any division's numbers by creating a whole new one.  That being said, I don't have a better idea.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 03:15:36 PM »

Ta0, did you miss that this stage would also be used by the yo-yo ladder, and the diabolo ladder & freestyles?
I did realize that. But in case they were not planning to get a backdrop I could contribute to defray the cost of getting one so that it mentions the spintop national contest. Of course, it would also include the yo-yo national sign.