iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: "Infinity" Levitating Top on Kickstarter  (Read 2185 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
"Infinity" Levitating Top on Kickstarter
« on: January 09, 2018, 12:07:58 PM »

There are 8 days left on a Kickstarter campaign for a levitating top:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1041136239/infinity-levitating-top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F092-RZjaCc

It appears to work the same way as the Flyte bulb and the "Levitron Revolution" bases we discussed before (link). This should not be confused with the original Levitron. The Levitron gets it's stability from its spin while this one gets it from electromagnets and feedback sensors. In addition, there is a base for the Levitron (the Perpetuator) that keeps the top spinning indefinitely (and therefore also floating), while the spin of the Infinity Top is eventually exhausted by air drag, although it continues to float (it might have some slow residual spinning due to the magnetic feedback).

I'm surprised they made the tip that long, as it decreases the clearance with the base. I guess they wanted the look of the Inception and ForeverSpin Tops.  ::)

I'm debating if pledging for the campaign. I guess I could build a larger top around my floating base for less money  :-\
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:53:37 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: "Infinity" Levitating Top on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 12:20:53 AM »

Here is my mockup of the Infinity top by taping one of Philippe's finger tops to the floating base of a Levitron Revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_yhAgGQIDU

Beylon

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 03:21:06 AM »

These guys did really well, which makes me smile. I did find it kind of difficult to understand how the Infinity is meaningfully different from the Levitron though. And man, it blows me away that they could produce such a high-order device for so little, considering the electronics and the machining and everything. I wonder if we'll be seeing copycats in the near future...?

Congrats to the makers is in order. Seven hours to go, as I write.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 11:06:16 AM »

These guys did really well, which makes me smile. I did find it kind of difficult to understand how the Infinity is meaningfully different from the Levitron though. And man, it blows me away that they could produce such a high-order device for so little, considering the electronics and the machining and everything. I wonder if we'll be seeing copycats in the near future...?

Congrats to the makers is in order. Seven hours to go, as I write.
I was expecting them to do better than 102 backers. They raised 2.7 times their goal of $5,000, but that was a modest goal considering the unit price of $125+
I believe they partnered with a company that was already fabricating the levitating platforms (which you can buy for $50) so that takes away much of the developmental cost.
To me there is a fundamental difference with the Levitron. I use the same criteria as Cyril for my collection: a top should fall down when it's not spinning. This top does not fall while on the floating base so it's not working as a top. Of course, you could spin it the regular way on a table, so when not floating it'a a top.

We know that air drag is a significant factor in stopping a top. I suspect that their claimed 30-45 minutes spin duration in the hands of advanced users includes extremely slow spinning at the end.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:13:20 AM by ta0 »

Beylon

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 11:24:26 PM »

I was expecting them to do better than 102 backers. They raised 2.7 times their goal of $5,000, but that was a modest goal considering the unit price of $125+
I believe they partnered with a company that was already fabricating the levitating platforms (which you can buy for $50) so that takes away much of the developmental cost.

Oh yeah, the guys who made the hardware for the levitating plant kickstarter... Fair enough. Well I'm glad there was something about it. Otherwise, even with the money they raised, I couldn't imagine too many sandwiches being made before they had to go back to work. It's amazing how much a new product like that can cost to develop.