iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Report from Iceland 2017  (Read 20575 times)

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Report from Iceland 2017
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2017, 04:06:04 PM »

Nice picture of some good looking spin tops.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2017, 01:31:01 PM »

These are photos Cuper sent me from the workshop he did in the downtown library of Reykjavik on the Monday after the contest:

Rob was there: you can see him sitting in the center.

I don't know how he could carry all these tops, specially on Wow airlines!

The event was a success and he has been asked to come back to do demos when school is in session. Although Cuper doesn't speak any English, he was the one of us who got to meet more Icelandic people, took public transportation to parts of Reykjavik out of the tourist spots, was invited many times for lunch and dinner by locals and even stayed one night at an Icelandic home. I guess his contagious laugh helps :)

tkunkel

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2017, 12:04:26 AM »

That is pretty awesome Cuper.  It looks like you had a lot of fun in Iceland too.

It was great to meet all of you in Iceland.  I had a lot of fun throwing top with you guys. 
I just got around to posting some pictures from Iceland. 

Here are the pictures from the top competition
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101124140755163.1073741875.45207483&type=1&l=9d4c4611f7

and some more from the rest of the Iceland trip, I got to throw top in some pretty cool places there.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101124175370793.1073741876.45207483&type=1&l=fc3f7eda2e

Also I took some video from the spintastics patches while I was there.

24 Trick Patch -
https://youtu.be/K4jo9Nq6v4E

Freestyle -
https://youtu.be/VReknyWIyJU

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2017, 11:15:08 AM »

What a bikepacking trip, Tom! You two are adventurers! The photos on top of the mountain with snow at the same level are impressive!

Many good pictures of top spinning in Iceland. Best ever background for a Spintastics freestyle patch video!  8)

That is not exactly a blizzard, but we know you can do it. The lasso should have been from the boomerang, but I don't think Dale will ask you to go back to Iceland just to film that  ;D  Well done!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2017, 12:07:32 PM »

I added the videos of the individual freestyles to the original post: link. I don't know if Chris G. routine has been posted individually by yoyoarchive but if not I'll do it myself.

tkunkel

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »

What a bikepacking trip, Tom! You two are adventurers! The photos on top of the mountain with snow at the same level are impressive!

Many good pictures of top spinning in Iceland. Best ever background for a Spintastics freestyle patch video!  8)

That is not exactly a blizzard, but we know you can do it. The lasso should have been from the boomerang, but I don't think Dale will ask you to go back to Iceland just to film that  ;D  Well done!
Thanks Jorge.

The Blizzard was pretty weak.  I was in a hurry and did not want to rerecord it, but I have been working on getting better at the blizzard.  In the video I do not pump the top much to generate more spin.  I can currently get 5 or 6 revolutions before I run out of spin but I would like to be able to generate enough spin to do more blizzards.  It will just take more practice.

As for the lasso trick, I was watching Jakub, Daniel, and Jose's 24 Trick patch YouTube videos to figure out what tricks I needed.  I can also do the boomerang to lasso if that is what is needed for the patch, that is just not what I recorded.

The trip was fun, we had a really good time throwing tops with everyone and biking.  We are looking forward to Nationals.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2017, 10:41:41 AM »

The Blizzard was pretty weak.  I was in a hurry and did not want to rerecord it, but I have been working on getting better at the blizzard.  In the video I do not pump the top much to generate more spin.  I can currently get 5 or 6 revolutions before I run out of spin but I would like to be able to generate enough spin to do more blizzards.  It will just take more practice.

Tom: the Blizzard is a much simpler trick than the regen version you describe, called Orbits (or Magnetic Wire). The Blizzard consist in just moving the top (generally with bearing tip) over, under and in between the two arms. There is no fixed number of times to do these little orbits, but should include the 4 possibilities  (over both arms, under both arms, above left but below right, above right but below left).

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2017, 11:37:07 AM »

I am not sure what is going to happen for worlds in the next few years but I thought I would get a couple comments in (I have some time since it is my day off).  I hope they are able to find more space so everyone at these fests can be closer together.  I wasn't around that much but when I was I often felt like the event was a bit disjointed.  The second stage was nice (especially since it was the only place around with carpet) but I felt like we were kind of divided with the big stage upstairs and the smaller stage downstairs.  Cleveland was phenomenal as far as space was concerned.  I seemed to see people all the time in Orlando as they walked from the main room through the overflow hallway to the bathroom or to get something to eat.  I guess along these lines, I miss having some food and drinks nearby for quick snacks.  One more thing, I miss some of the variety we used to have.  It seemed like everything was yoyos and that was it except for a bit of kendama.  There used to be a maker area, and diabolos and pen spinning and pizza spinning and more.  I liked going to these gatherings and learning more about other activities.  These are some of my observations as a bit of an outsider.  The venue was phenomenal and so picturesque.  I loved exploring.  Their big hall would have been fantastic but they were also having a jazz festival while we were there and used all the space.  Of course, I enjoyed the piano being out and the amazing Steinway in the basement.  We were so close to the city and that was great.  I am sure every location has its ups and downs.  Many thanks to all who worked so hard to make this worlds a success!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2017, 12:25:38 PM »

Also I took some video from the spintastics patches while I was there.

24 Trick Patch -

Freestyle -

very well done sir
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:31:34 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2017, 03:48:02 PM »

Your progress, Tom, is quite impressive.  It is so cool that you earned those patches with the Icelandic background.  Now, whenever you look at those badges, you will have wonderful memories of Iceland!!!

tkunkel

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2017, 10:51:08 PM »

Tom: the Blizzard is a much simpler trick than the regen version you describe, called Orbits (or Magnetic Wire). The Blizzard consist in just moving the top (generally with bearing tip) over, under and in between the two arms. There is no fixed number of times to do these little orbits, but should include the 4 possibilities  (over both arms, under both arms, above left but below right, above right but below left).

I talk to Jose about the blizzard trick the other day and he agreed with you that I was doing orbits instead of blizzard.  I got these tricks confused, but will get to work on blizzard since I need that for the zenith patch, which is the next one I am going to try for.  I also need to work on trying to snap start for that one, which currently seems really hard.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2017, 01:06:36 PM »

That is not exactly a blizzard, but we know you can do it.
I was confused about Orbits vs. Blizzard too. Now I realize that Blizzard is like a 2 handed Crazy 8. I think orbits are harder to do.  I also used to think that Magnetic Wire and Orbits were different names for the same trick.  JohnM demonstrated the clear difference for me in Miamisburg last Saturday.
The lasso should have been from the boomerang, but I don't think Dale will ask you to go back to Iceland just to film that  ;D  Well done!
The video that was on the spintastics site shows lasso from the hand just as Tom did.  When I did my 24 video I could only do a one handed lasso from a boomerang :)

If Dale forces you to go back to Iceland can I join you ;)

Nicely done!

TheSpinForce

« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »

This was my first year attending worlds, it was a lot of fun hanging out with the tops guys. I decided the day of to compete in the tops division although didn't qualify to place because I used diabolo sticks, but had fun performing regardless. I also enjoyed the top battle with everyone. It was fun to hang out with ta0, Rob and Marko the day after and see some of the geysers and waterfalls in Iceland.

I'm a bit new to tops (other than Chinese kongzhu), I tried a year ago with a bad quality wooden Mexican top and just couldn't get it to work. I also ran into Jim Neff at IJA this year and had a lot of fun throwing together and sharing our weird kongzhu. He finally taught me how to do a boomerang and balance tops, and I was able to land a few throws after a few hours. Hope to see you all more often at future fests!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2017, 06:12:02 PM »

Chris: do you need me to upload your routine individually (I would capture it from the longer stream)?

I was looking at my photos from Iceland and found one showing where the trolls hide during the night: secret revealed!  :P

Kirk will appreciate this street name, specially because he knows some Spanish (in Reykjavik most street names end in stigur/vegur/gata/holt).

These photos do not qualify for the spintop photo contest (there are no tops) but there are many other photos you all have taken in Iceland and Miamisburg, etc.: please, nominate them!

TheSpinForce

« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2017, 08:18:06 PM »

Sure that would be nice :)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up