iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: K'Neffy string twister  (Read 23725 times)

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
K'Neffy string twister
« on: March 11, 2017, 04:13:56 PM »

Finally did this - parts list for the business end of the K'Neffy string twister.  There is a sale until March 31 at Knex.com.  Right now these parts total about $7.43, shipping will probably be around $6.00.  In addition to this you would need to build a stationary hook block and a rack to support your drill.  And buy some thread.

And here is the video showing it in use.
https://youtu.be/P_9yBj5IZgU
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:58:14 AM by Neff »

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
Re: How to build the K'Neffy string twister
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 06:45:01 PM »

This is great. Thank you for posting.

I also want to thank you for posting the overhead view of the regeneration techniques (I think you had Charlie Brown music playing during the video). It was a tremendous help to me.

Next stop: KNex store.

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 03:57:38 AM »

Yes thanks! That is very good of you to post that. I'm going to try building one for sure!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 03:16:04 PM »

Finally did this - parts list for the business end of the K'Neffy string twister.  There is a sale until March 31 at Knex.com.  Right now these parts total about $7.43, shipping will probably be around $6.00.  In addition to this you would need to build a stationary hook block and a rack to support your drill.  And buy some thread.

And here is the video showing it in use.

bestower of great wisdoms

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:24:24 PM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 08:09:05 PM »

Silly question: Why doesn't the string unwind itself when you remove it from the rig?

From what I can see of the twister design, LEGO Technic parts would probably work, too.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:11:20 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 08:23:49 PM »

Just ordered KNex parts to make one of these. The site gave me a $5 credit...so about $10 for all the bits I need for the set up.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 08:37:49 PM »

(Note if you are reading this thread and not seeing the parts list: it's an attached image and you need to be logged in to see it)

Wonderful! Thanks Chris for this contribution to the community!

Silly question: Why doesn't the string unwind itself when you remove it from the rig?
I think the idea is that the (pairs of) threads are twisted individually in one direction while the whole thing is twisted in the other. For one to untwist it has to twist the other even more, so their torques balance out. But I am like you, it is surprising that it works so well. I need to think in detail about it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 11:44:46 PM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 09:56:08 PM »

I think the idea is that the (pairs of) threads are twisted individually in one direction while the whole thing is twisted in the other.

wisdom @-@

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 11:53:53 PM »

At $ 7.43 plus shipping I would LOVE two Chris. For me I found out after 15 bad lines - is to copy CHRIS. With my 4 square hoke I'm making good lines now. But it's time to step it up.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 12:57:48 AM »

The string twists in the first stage of the operation, and untwists in the second stage.  It is twisted when it is four separate strands, then it untwists into one single strand.  In the first phase, because I am holding the block, the gears engage and the hooks are spinning the opposite direction of the drill.  In the second phase the entire apparatus spins the direction of the drill.  Poof.  String!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 01:09:45 AM »

At $ 7.43 plus shipping I would LOVE two Chris. For me I found out after 15 bad lines - is to copy CHRIS. With my 4 square hoke I'm making good lines now. But it's time to step it up.

String twisters assembled by me will cost a little more than that, mister.  At normal prices the parts are $10 plus $5 to ship them to me. If I don't add to my $15 cost there is little incentive to make one for somebody. I'm thinking minimum $25 plus shipping. It does not take a terrible amount of time to assemble one but I balance mine a certain way and also oil them so they don't melt or explode  >:D

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: K'Neffy string twister
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 12:56:19 AM »

At $ 30.00 that's a GREAT DEAL. Please send me one. I have been working with C.A glue for a long time. And I always seem to make a mess with that stuff.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:09:17 PM by cecil »

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 11:55:32 AM »

;D Finally got my K'Nex parts yesterday and put together my very own K'Neffy String Twister! I don't have a drill so spinning it by hand takes about ten minutes to make a string. They come out really nice! My experience has really only been throwing with a Duncan string or lengths of cotton twine so it will be interesting to see what a difference this makes. Big thanks to Neff!
-James 

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 10:04:11 PM »

Very glad to hear you built one for yourself!  You will probably want to figure things out yourself also, but don't hesitate to drop me a message if something isn't working out.

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 09:47:01 PM »

Now I understand why everyone likes handmade strings! My play has become a bit better and a lot smoother using it. Right now I am trying to figure out why some strings feel like they "grab" the tip more, which is something I find useful on certain tricks. If you have any insight regarding that I'd appreciate the input!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up