iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Hive Top  (Read 2183 times)

Dalton Bissell

The Hive Top
« on: October 24, 2016, 08:50:39 AM »

The Hive Top is a beautiful, air-assisted steel spinning top with a 3 mm ruby tip. I wanted to make a piece of art inspired by bees and their incredible hives while still keeping a functional form. (I think the bees would appreciate that!) I also wanted the top to preform my signature trick, an air-assisted spin, without being limited to a set spin direction. Its hollow body design allows you to preform the air-assisted spin in either direction by blowing on its leading edge. What a success!

https://youtu.be/zLZQgmh758o

Available on Indiegogo at https://igg.me/at/TheHiveTop/x/15223747

I pan to donate $5 to sponsoring beehives around the world for every top sold. Bees are facing a rapid decline in many areas of the world because of harmful commercial practices like insecticides. Just "bee-ing" aware of whats happening to them is half of the battle, so spread the word so we can take care of our little flying friends! After all, the busy pollinators take care of you all the time.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: The Hive Top
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 11:47:31 AM »

It is pretty, but I watched very closely twice and did not see it spin in the other direction. The frame speed of the video makes it seem to go in the other direction, but it did not. Did I miss something?
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »

Dalton: I congratulate you for making finger tops that work in original ways. That differentiates you from most of the other finger top makers.

It is pretty, but I watched very closely twice and did not see it spin in the other direction. The frame speed of the video makes it seem to go in the other direction, but it did not. Did I miss something?
I think what he means is that you can keep it going in whatever the direction it is first started.

Dalton Bissell

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 02:07:56 PM »

Thanks for the complements.

The Top goes in what ever direction it is started, like Ta0 said. Some of my previous designs where only capable of being accelerated in one direction. There is a time and place for both ideas.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 03:09:34 PM »

Wonderful concept and visual design, Dalton! The dark red tip goes well with the steel and black, and the textures work well together. This one is definitely on my wish list.

Say, where did you get that thick concave glass base? Want one of those, too.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:11:54 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes. -- Jose Ortega y Gasset