iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Purchase Consultation  (Read 13958 times)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Purchase Consultation
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2016, 12:53:04 AM »

I like that new tip. I haven't tried it, but it looks like the best Spintastics tip yet.
Val took some convincing . . .  ;)
I have several new tops with these tips. They make me sad.  The point is so oblique that there is lots of contact with my hand so the top really slows down during trick set up.  It wire walks a bit better than a C tip. My regen skills are not enough to tell much difference.  Where it not for the flat point I would like it.  I have to hold my hand very uncomfortably flat to get it to spin at all.  (I have the same issue with the hornet tip.) I will not have time to make new tips before the worlds.

Question: How does one get tips out of a QSH?  Are they pressed? Glued?

Took me about four tries to balance it, although it wasn't that terribly unbalanced to begin with, I think. I might try a few more positions down the line, but it seems fine, even if it doesn't spin very long. I may be cupping my hand too much, though.
The first QSH tops I got are as well balanced as any delrin top.  The second batch I got (with the new tips) are a mixed bag of OK to shakers.

Rather than sticky tack, try using tape like Gafer Tape.  You can put it on the outside of the top for testing.  When you get the top balanced, then open it up and move the tape inside.  (add about 10% if near the rim and 25% if near the tip.) It takes a few more tries, but the process goes much faster overall.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2016, 10:39:50 AM »

Question: How does one get tips out of a QSH?  Are they pressed? Glued?

pressure fit. brace a chopstick against the floor and go boop  ;D

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2016, 05:06:19 PM »

I have a hornet with a really shallow head, and yeah, not great for spinning in the hand. The one in the picture looks better though. Better than rhe ome on my hornet anyway. Spintastics has made some interesting design decisions in the past in the name of safety, I wonder if this shallow head it's for that reason.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2016, 08:14:56 PM »

To wet to practice outside.  Rather than mope about, I thought I would balance some tops.
The first QSH tops I got are as well balanced as any delrin top.  The second batch I got (with the new tips) are a mixed bag of OK to shakers.
More testing needed but...  I removed the crown from my most shaky QSH bearing.  Learned to throw it. (lefty backhand point down-ish) It is as smooth as silk.
Preliminary conclusion.  The aluminum portion is is really great. The molded crown is not as consistent.  So any balance weight should be focused on the crown.
More testing needed
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 09:55:06 PM by Kirk »
Pages: « 1 2 3 4   Go Up