iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: String Snags  (Read 5944 times)

• Gold Member
Re: String Snags
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 12:49:03 AM »

Dear Jim,

Thank you for the clarification, and luckily I always do make sure no one is to my right when the string snags, but in fact I use a 360 rule. I always plan for the worst. I always imagine "what if I really mess up and people are around me", and make it so no one will get hurt. I make sure to keep some distance, but I feel the danger zone approach is much more appropriate. Thank you!

Kirk, I am glad that you have worked out all the problems in your strings. I would reccomend that the next time you have such a problem, to not even worry about fixing your string, to just try and see if a new string is the problem. You can train yourself to make mistakes otherwise and that is not fun! Just a suggestion. I usually make sure to have xyz number of strings whenever I can so I can just ditch a string.

But also.. Lol.. My best string so far is the string that came with the lingdong. LOL.

Thank you,

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 12:46:34 AM »

I may have an answer but I need clarification; are all the snags on the boomerang throw?
Also, the toque bit really touched my heart :)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 01:31:24 AM »

I may have an answer but I need clarification; are all the snags on the boomerang throw?
Also, the toque bit really touched my heart :)
Yes, all on the throw.  I still have not tried the old string yet to se if it was me of the string.
I'm glad you enjoyed that.

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 02:04:50 AM »

Hi, yes on the throw for me as well. I couldn't even get a spinner much less boomerang it. The snag would occur almost as soon as it left my hand.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 08:40:43 AM »

Well what I was thinking is a flaw in the throw that I have seen folks do that I have a hard time replicating. I will try to replicate it with my Grande.

Probably the string though as we all suspect.  Limp and frayed string really, really, really likes itself. It has string-o-fillia.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 09:08:06 AM »

Hi, yes on the throw for me as well. I couldn't even get a spinner much less boomerang it. The snag would occur almost as soon as it left my hand.
Diz,
That is a different kind of snag. We have all had that too. The top makes a strange sound and you feel a vibration in you hand.  Without high speed video I can only theorize.  It is, I think, related to string tension.  Delrin and HDPE tops are more fussy about string tension than say wood or polycarbonate tops. 
One problem that many small kids have (me too) is not getting the right tension on from the crown wrap to the tip.  The crown wrap comes loose during the throw and the loose end tangles with the rest of the string. Yuck
A different issue is the wraps not staying down flat, but bunching up.  This gets worse the harder you throw.  String that is stretchy makes this problem worse.  Try less power on the throw.  Try more tension when winding.  Try less tension when winding. 

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 11:54:59 AM »

Thanks Kirk. I think you are right on all those points. I had not thrown my Trompo Grande in weeks and when I got ready to throw it I couldn't get it to feel comfortable in my hand. When I did throw it was just as you described. It was as bad as 8 out of 10 throws tangling! I am certain muscle memory errors played a big part too since I had problems throwing other tops. Is your throwing better now?

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 06:10:37 PM »

New string yesterday. no snags.  A bit afraid to try the old string indoors. More testing when the rain stops.
I tested the suspect string today. I confirmed that it is a snag-o-matic. I borrowed a friend's knife and cut it in 3 parts.  Got out a new string and threw quite well. Strangely the string did not look to be in bad shape, but proof was in the testing.  New string is also giving more speed on my regens.  (I really need help with that.)

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2016, 06:34:30 PM »

New string is also giving more speed on my regens.

sweet bruh @-@