iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HELP: I can't do upside down tricks!  (Read 8392 times)

• Gold Member
HELP: I can't do upside down tricks!
« on: May 20, 2016, 01:19:03 AM »

Hello Everyone Of iTopSpin!

I am fairly experienced with spin tops, but am juust begining "upside down" play. I am using a strange Chinese Spintop "Space Jam" from yoyoexpert.

http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/1410/LingDong-Space-Spin-Tops

That is a link to the specific spin top that I have. I suspect it is similar to a "bearing king" though I have never used a bearing king. I am able to do a gyroscopic flop, once... But I can't seem to get it to stay upside down. It always just hops out of the flop when I try to keep tension on it.

I notice everyone is using 90$ dollar Gulia spin tops to do their upside down spintop tricks. Could it be that I need a new spintop? Or is it my technique that is lacking?

I would greatly appreciate your help everyone!

Oh yeah, for the sake of this forum, I am a n00b, so I hope you forgive any arrogance, or noobishnesss in my postings! This is my most pressing concern :P. Hopefully when I am a pro like you guys, I can help you guys out in the forums too!

Thank you,
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 01:23:31 AM by 113 »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Re: HELP: I can't do upside down tricks!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:36:47 AM »

Dear 113,
Welcome to the forum.  I have never thrown a LingDong top. However I doubt that a Ben Franklin will fix your top woes.  It took me a long time to learn to keep the top vertical when upside down and I am still not so smooth at it.  Try different top speeds. Letting the top slow down a bit can make gyro flops easier.  Consider learning upside down merry go round (from a trapeze) as an intro to upside down tricks.
Kirk

Hroch

• ITSA
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 01:49:31 AM »

Hi 113,
don't worry about your top. It's absolutely possible to do UD (upside down) tricks with it maybe it's even easier than with S8 Giulia because LingDong is lighter (so easier to control). If you are trying to get the top stay UD from gyro flop it's a lot about strength of string pull when the top is UD you have to loose string a bit. Other guys probably give you more advices  ;)

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 02:06:20 AM »

Dear 113,
Welcome to the forum.  I have never thrown a LingDong top. However I doubt that a Ben Franklin will fix your top woes.  It took me a long time to learn to keep the top vertical when upside down and I am still not so smooth at it.  Try different top speeds. Letting the top slow down a bit can make gyro flops easier.  Consider learning upside down merry go round (from a trapeze) as an intro to upside down tricks.
Kirk

Dear Kirk,

Thank you! Thank you for letting me know it's not the top. The reason I worried, was because I was extremely impressed by the difference between a Duncan Imperial spintop and the LingDong.  I have not tried too many different speeds, I will definitely try this, and I do understand experimentation will be necessary.

I plan on learning an upside down merry go round, yes, that was what I was trying to do. Are you saying it is easier to do an UD merry go round from a trapeze than a gyroscopic flop?

Thanks again for your help m8! I definitely already have some stuff to try.

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 02:09:09 AM »

Hi 113,
don't worry about your top. It's absolutely possible to do UD (upside down) tricks with it maybe it's even easier than with S8 Giulia because LingDong is lighter (so easier to control). If you are trying to get the top stay UD from gyro flop it's a lot about strength of string pull when the top is UD you have to loose string a bit. Other guys probably give you more advices  ;)

Hello Hroch!

Thanks for your help. I am glad to know that it is definitely possible, just need to practice. Would you say there are any tricks that are impossible to do with a cheap spintop like Bearing King or Lingdong?

Yes, other members have been helpful, and I will try loosening up on the string as well.

Thanks again for the help! I love how helpful this community is! People really like spintops!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 02:45:22 AM »

Get  a size 324 rubber o-ring in the top of the body(there's actually a place to put it) in the Space Top, put on the crown with the ring, tape it down and go back to having fun.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 03:21:01 AM »

Get  a size 324 rubber o-ring in the top of the body(there's actually a place to put it) in the Space Top, put on the crown with the ring, tape it down and go back to having fun.

Dear Studio42,

This is an interesting suggestion. How would this help when trying to get into Upside Down play? Would this increased weight help the top when trying to get into upside down play by providing momentum and stability?

Thank you for your time, and for your interesting suggestion, but unfortunately I do not understand. I would appreciate an explanation so I could understand.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 11:29:18 AM »

welcome home sir @-@

Hroch

• ITSA
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 11:38:09 AM »

...Would you say there are any tricks that are impossible to do with a cheap spintop like Bearing King or Lingdong?

I wouldn't say impossible (if you aren't talking about special tricks, eg. double tip tricks) but some tricks are more difficult because these tops are usually lighter so they spin for less time. But you can try some modifications like adding weight ring or clean bearings.

Anyway, don't worry about the top, just practise stronger boomerang and other tricks. When I was learning new tricks I was often worried that it must be problem of top but actually it never was problem of top  :D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 12:12:11 PM »

Hroch is right, you can do almost any bearing trick with the Lingdong (only that other tops make some tricks easier.)

I would follow Kirk's advice: it is much easier to get into the UD MGR from a trapeze than from a gyro-flop. In person I can teach anybody who can already do a MGR (and get a top into a trapeze mount) to do an UD MGR in 15 minutes.

Notice that in a normal MGR the top is not perfectly vertical but the crown is pointing slightly out while the tip points towards the center of the circle. For an UD MGR it is the opposite: the crown points to the center of the circle.
Start with the top hanging horizontal from a loop on your hand. Use about half of the string for the loop. Now start making a slow counter-clockwise (if you are right handed) circle with the top, pushing the top in the direction of the crown (very important!). As the top start to lean downwards, start to speed up the circle, always pushing in the direction of the crown. When the top is leaning to about 45 degrees, increase the speed more to get into the UD MGR, keeping the crown leaning towards the center of the circle.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 02:09:32 PM »

hello "one one three" ! name ?

thanx Jorge for the very detailed explanations

like jakub i would say that your top is able to perform most of the advanced tricks
it's just a question of practice
you can also start a UD MGR from a standard boomerang
by letting the top lean down once you've set the string

keep spinning ;D

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 03:05:36 PM »

this might be of some use  ;) i cant think of any other methods other than doing an upside-down snapstart.......which i cannot do  ;D

tops used: QSH fixed ("C" tip)
               QSH bearing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFuZb5nnFho

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 08:02:40 PM »

Jack,
Your great skill has blinded you to the easy way! :)
Perhaps I can do a video this weekend if the rain stops.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 08:22:03 PM »

Jack,

well thank you for the compliment sir  ;D
hmm you have me at a disadvantage my good man.......please sir teach me this "easy way" of which you speak  :'(

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 08:31:48 PM »

Jack,

well thank you for the compliment sir  ;D
hmm you have me at a disadvantage my good man.......please sir teach me this "easy way" of which you speak  :'(

Jack: just read the instructions I gave above  :D
By the way, the first way you do it on the video is the original one. It was invented by John Hornbeck and his spinning partner (I forgot his name). John was the first one to do it on stage (circa 2001 or 2002). But most people doing the sport ladder did it the way I described it. Kirk should have a good video.