iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I WANT THE BEST PLEASE HELP!!!  (Read 5126 times)

ryan paul

I WANT THE BEST PLEASE HELP!!!
« on: May 13, 2016, 03:52:20 AM »

ive been going strong on my trompo grande and bearing, a huge improvement from what i traded in for them, my first top the imperial. i told my self ill start here $5.99 free shipping, get down the boomerang the string walkers,the basics, and if i stay with it ill up grade. so now im ready for an upgrade all over again. im new to the forum, everybody seems up on the topic. even some pros, i love it!!! if you can please help with my decision. i wanted the giulia till i read reviews on the others. I WANT THE BEST FOR COMPETITION PLEASE HELP!!!

THANKS
ryan paul
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:51:07 AM by ryan paul »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Re: I WANT THE BEST PLEASE HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 09:19:11 AM »

My first thought is, "Best for what?"
To make a comparison with motor vehicles the "best" depend on your needs. The need to haul 20 tons of gravel will give one best vehicle. It may not be the best to haul a family of 6. Nor the best to impress the girls. Nor the lowest carbon footprint.

Another comparison is to find the best food.  Steak? Eggs? Toast? All 3?  Pizza? (OK Pizza wins)

I think that most here would agree that a bag full of tops is pretty close to best. I have 4 tops in my EDC bag.  However I swap them fairly often with other tops in the big bag.

Don't be too hard on the tops that you have. World Championships have been won with them.

You might wish to check out this thread  http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php?topic=3768.0

Kirk

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 09:49:26 AM »

ive been going strong on my trompo grande and bearing, a huge improvement from what i traded in for them, my first top the imperial. i told my self ill start here $5.99 free shipping, get down the boomerang the string walkers,the basics, and if i stay with it ill up grade. so now im ready for an upgrade all over again. im new to the forum, everybody seems up on the topic. even some pros, i love it!!! if you can please help with my decision. i wanted the enzo till i read reviews on the others. I WANT THE BEST PLEASE HELP!!!

THANKS
ryan paul

the simple answer and perhaps not the totally correct but keep it simple stupid answer is: QSH fixed ("C" tip)
                                                                                                                           QSH bearing

those are what i consider to be the workhorses of the tops i have

EDIT: that isnt to say those are the end all, i play with a half dozen different tops every day and each one does something different, but again i think the QSH's is your best bet
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:53:35 AM by Jack »

ryan paul

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 09:51:40 AM »

well the imperial definitely is not the best!!! hope you dont got a bag full of them. ya thanks anywho.  kirk

im thinkin of those jack how bout the s8 line up?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:55:22 AM by ryan paul »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 09:55:01 AM »

well the imperial definitely is not the best!!! hope you dont got a bag full of them. ya thank anywho.

lol...........theres no such thing as too many tops  ;D

oh definitly pick up the short circuit from yoyofactory eh, those are excelent tops

im thinkin of those jack how bout the s8 line up?

disturbingly well made @-@
if ya can afford it.........get it  ;D
delrin makes me a little nervous though around metal objects  :-\
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:22:07 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 10:32:49 AM »

The S8 tops are all excellent players (except the mini Love). The Giulia is the most popular and it is the current standard in high end tops, at least with bearing tip.

For fixed-tip I would go with the QuickSilver Hybrid (with diabolo tip) for less cash. It is a top I would use in a competition freestyle. Spintanstics has an incredible sale on the HP Hornet, so get that one if you don't get the QSH.

You can convert the Giulia into fixed tip, but you will soon discover that it is too much hassle to be converting from one to the other and it is much better to have one fixed-tip top and one bearing.

The Chico 2.0 is an excellent bearing top, but the oversized tip is unusual (on the other hand, the tip of the Giulia is a bit undersized).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:36:14 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 10:43:22 AM »

i wanted the enzo till i read reviews on the others.
The Enzo is how Maurizio called the very first Giulia he dyed red. Before that they were all white. After that he started to dye Giulias in different colors and the distinct name became meaningless. But I am still proud of having the only official Enzo ever made (I think), box and everything  :)

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 12:00:06 PM »

But I am still proud of having the only official Enzo ever made (I think), box and everything  :)

lucky cookieeeeeeeee!!!!!

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 12:26:11 PM »

For now just get the Spintastic large Trompo. Fixed tip and bearing. For the money you can't beat this top. Spintastic === FANTASTIC.

Hroch

• ITSA
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 01:34:03 PM »

If you want really the best, I completely agree with ta0. My choice would be one of S8 Giulia, S8 STB2.5, Spintastics QuickSilver Hybrid.

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 06:55:46 PM »

The S8 tops are all excellent players (except the mini Love). The Giulia is the most popular and it is the current standard in high end tops, at least with bearing tip.

dude! No love for the Love?? I love The Love! And you're not gonna say anything about sofia?

Stb2.0 is in my opinion a better all around player than Giulia, but it's aparently flawed at the neck so, for sturdiness stb2.0 loses.... if I had to start over my collection I'd start with two stb2.0s and tape them at the seams.
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

ryan paul

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 06:59:49 PM »

ta0, let me get this right so you think there was 1 "official" enzo ever made and you have it!!! pretty special man!!! thanks for the run down.lucky cooookie indeed.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 07:02:44 PM »

well the imperial definitely is not the best!!! hope you dont got a bag full of them. ya thanks anywho.  kirk
-- Off Topic --
Funny you should mention it. I do have a rare vintage imperial (not  the snap cap but glued assembly) that is a great top and a lovely color.  I have never seen another one.  The new ones however are as you say.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 07:40:54 PM »

I get a lot of questions regarding yoyos as to "what is the best". It simply doesn't exist. Each year, typically someone different wins the 1A division and uses a different yoyo. Clearly, best is a matter of preferences and features that the end-user decides for themselves that is the best fit. World and Natonal titles have been won on yoyos as inexpensive as $15 and well above $150.

I don't see this being any different in regards to spintops. What are my favorites? It varies depending on my mood. I've been playing my Guilia a lot lately, but before that I was playing my Sophia a lot. After CalStates, I was working with the new YYF Energia tops for a few days. I never know what I may want to play, so I carry a fair number of tops on me when I am stuck at the park during my kids' swim team practices.

I personally see nothing wrong with the Spintastics Trompo Grande and Trompo Bearing. I enjoy those quite a bit. The Quicksilver Hybrid I definitely feel is a big upgrade and also comes in bearing and fixed tip models as well. With the price, I feel it being on par with anything at the top-end of the price spectrum despite being half the price of a Strummol8 top. Jack certainly seems to favor the Qucksilver Hybrids based on his own words. Now, Jack is miles ahead of me when it comes to skills and abilities when it comes to tops. I also can't argue his assessment after buying a set myself. Still, I prefer my Sophia over them. That's simply my preferences.

Part of the journey in regards to skill toys involves either buying stuff or trying a lot of stuff, looking for that "perfect" or "best" item. What's best for one person may not be the best for another person. Don't make decisions based on price or brand, make decisions based on what appears to be the best match for you.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 08:55:26 PM »

Since two world champions (Carlos Solis and Gustavo Castro) won the contest using standard sized light weight Cometa tops, it seems at least reasonable to mention them in the list of quality tops for competition.

I always feel that my play with these tops is at a faster pace than the larger heavier tops.  If I'm not just fooling myself and tricks are actually completed faster with these, then there could be a real competition advantage since performances are time limited.  Less time per trick means more tricks in the same time which means higher score.