iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is this strange? Able, the unable to perform a trick  (Read 2056 times)

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
Is this strange? Able, the unable to perform a trick
« on: May 02, 2016, 02:19:03 AM »

I took a short break from spintops(maybe 2 months) while I focused on a bunch of other things. Since I am going to say early April, I discovered i have been having problems doing merry go round and Crazy8's. The consistency was just totally off, with sometimes days goig by before being able to perform the trick again. I've discovered the tricks to performing the trick this past week and I'd say I'm around 40% consistency. With more practice, I'm sure this will improve.

All I can say is my skill level is low, but I'm OK with that. It just seems odd a trick I used to be able to do without much problem suddenly became a problem.

Anyone else have these sort of issues?

I'm still able to do corkscrew, my boomerangs are fine, and I can do mach5 and am getting better with gyro flops with bearing tips. With fixed tips, wire walker is fine as is arm walker. I think I could do race-car but I need to get better with the set-up on it, which is just a matter of practice.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Is this strange? Able, the unable to perform a trick
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:13:28 AM »

Consistency is not easy for me. Yesterday I picked up my chonkake and could barely spin it. Last week I had my best day with it.  ???

For MGR & C8 practice I recommend doing only one go around. This way you can work on several starts and ends in one throw.  As the top slows and/or leans the ending is a bit different.

All I can say is my skill level is low, but I'm OK with that.
I'm still able to do corkscrew, my boomerangs are fine, and I can do mach5 and am getting better with gyro flops with bearing tips. With fixed tips, wire walker is fine as is arm walker. I think I could do race-car but I need to get better with the set-up on it, which is just a matter of practice.
With this list of tricks I would not classify you as low skill.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 10:08:52 AM »

ya it happens, some trick that gets forgotten for awhile then all of the sudden you remember it awhile later and then it takes a bit of a refresher course to be able to the trick again, dont know if its "normal" but it happens to me 2  ;D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 10:57:11 AM »

I has happened to me many times and probably happens to everybody. You just start doing something different without realizing it and the trick doesn't work anymore.
It can be very frustrating but it does not mean that you have lost your skill. You are just doing something wrong that you use to do right before. Sometimes just taking a new break with the trick will fix it!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 06:13:00 PM »

Consistency is not easy for me. Yesterday I picked up my chonkake and could barely spin it. Last week I had my best day with it.  ???

For MGR & C8 practice I recommend doing only one go around. This way you can work on several starts and ends in one throw.  As the top slows and/or leans the ending is a bit different.

I wasn't even able to do one. First, I was not able to get the top to stay in the wrap. This was due to sometimes popping instead of sliding, while others was due to not putting enough pressure on the string and top from the left hand(non-throwing hand). Now that I'm getting the tension correct, it's mostly due to the transition from hand to off the string.

I agree about doing 1 go around, but it was either zilch or "hey, I can do 3 revolutions". In working on it, I did reduce things down to 1 revolution. It didn't seem to help but it didn't make anything worse.

Glad to hear this is fairly normal. One thing I like about tops is that since they are typically slower than yoyos, you have time to analyze mistakes and successes.