iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cost of worlds discussion (split topic)  (Read 8920 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Cost of worlds discussion (split topic)
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 11:57:31 PM »

The contest fee isn't the killer, it's the huge cost associated with getting to an event like this. I agree that part is difficult, but there isn't really anything to be done about travel costs. If any yoyo player that could truly compete for a top finish at the world contest could get to the contest but just couldn't afford the entry fee, I'm quite sure somebody (me) would step up and pay it.. I would imagine the same could be worked out for spin tops.

Perhaps more time should be spent on figuring out how to get competitors and an audience rather than complaining about fees being a "rip off".. at some point spin tops may have to split from yo-yos be it by choice or not if we can't get more people involved.

Kyle

that being said though if i win the lottery im hosting a world championship and funding everyone to come and compete in it  ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:36:59 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2016, 10:58:45 AM »

You may not be aware, Kyle, but we are raising money to help players to get to the contest (search for "raffle"). In 2012 with other raffles we paid some visas and registration fees to Mexican players, who competed at worlds for the first time, plus provided the custom spintop trophies (by the way, we are still waiting for the photos of the freestyle you volunteered to take.) But in 2013 we really helped make it a true international and high-level competition (with arguably the best three players in the world at that time). We paid all the expenses (visa, ticket, lodging, registration) of a street artist from Mexico City (who ended up third). We paid visas, registration fees and part of the lodging of 3 Colombian players. And we paid registration fees for 4 other Mexican players (including the winner). Plus, the trophies.
Now, we are raising money again. The fact is that because of the fund raising (from us and from the players in their countries), plus the visas which are not an assured thing (as we know from past experience), we typically can only confirm them close to the event. At $200 per player, registration can be in fact a killer of our plans.

kyo

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2016, 10:44:59 AM »

So I took 4 seconds to actually talk to Steve.

Anybody trying to get a visa and isn't sure if they can get into the country... as soon as they know they can get in, email steve@worlds16.com and he will set them up with regular priced fees, no hike.

It's almost like instead of complaining about being the victim, you could solve the problem with literally seconds of effort.

Kyle

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2016, 11:03:28 AM »

Anybody trying to get a visa and isn't sure if they can get into the country... as soon as they know they can get in, email steve@worlds16.com and he will set them up with regular priced fees, no hike.

It's almost like instead of complaining about being the victim, you could solve the problem with literally seconds of effort.

Kyle

Thanks Kyle, that is wonderfu!  :)
I had written to Steve asking him what info he needed to write the visa letters. I also mentioned ITSA and offered any help he needed with the spintop contest. He answered with the visa letter requirements. I was planning to ask for discounts when we had something more concrete about foreign players coming this year, but knowing before hand is much better.  8) By the way, Dale told me yesterday that he was also going to contact Steve about the contest.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2016, 01:43:38 PM »

Kyle

kyo for the win!!!  ;D

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 11:48:10 PM »

Kyle, I hope whatever it is that is in (or out) of your life that makes you so snarky and unpleasant turns around. You have many valid points but they are so covered in cynicism and grade school sarcasm, it is hard to take you seriously.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2016, 05:42:09 AM »

It's nice to see that Steve's willing to work with groups and individuals to help make things happen. I'm just opposed to tiered entrance fees based on dates. They might be doing this to encourage early registration. I'm fine with "day of" registration stuff having a higher cost. Even so, I'm sure that's another element that can be worked within or around to keep it affordable.

It sounds like things are going in the right direction. It's not perfect but it's workable. It's a positive start.

I'm going to make some inquiries from some of my senior peers in the yoyo community(read: more experienced and connected, some are younger than I am!) and see if it is worth going after Worlds for a job. If I'm not working the show, I won't be attending because it doesn't make sense for me to travel otherwise.  That's just how my priorities are. As competing isn't something I'm interested in, I'm also not in a financial situation to spend on such a trip.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2016, 10:26:40 AM »

I think this discussion has ran its course and I am closing the thread.
If you disagree because you have a relevant contribution to the discussion, write me a pm and I can open it again.