iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rare top  (Read 1774 times)

collectop

• Gold Member
Rare top
« on: March 22, 2016, 08:57:15 PM »

Michael l Trantham Spinning top collection This is a early Pat date from the U.S.A 1854 Stamped on the crown of top. Thought this would be a good subject for the forum to discuss ,does anyone else have any early Patent dates?

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Rare top
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 09:03:04 PM »

.................wow  :o

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Rare top
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 11:42:19 PM »

Michael l Trantham Spinning top collection This is a early Pat date from the U.S.A 1854 Stamped on the crown of top. Thought this would be a good subject for the forum to discuss ,does anyone else have any early Patent dates?

Really?  :o Can you show a photo of the stamp? Other views?
That is the first time I see a top marked with Woodbridge's patent from June 1854, which as far as I know is the first US patent for a Top! Rare top indeed!

The patent is in fact for a top with a whistle on the crown and exit air holes on the sides (like so many afterwards, including the Duncan Whistler one hundred years later). But the drawing on the patent is for a top with a traditional peg top shape, so I was expecting something like the ones that were sold around 1900 (you show one on your peg tops post).

I do have a top marked with the second US patent that I know of, from June 1859.

Does it work? On the photo it looks like the whistle may be damaged. It must also be missing a wooden handle.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:53:17 AM by ta0 »