iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Turbine Top  (Read 14851 times)

Dalton Bissell

The Turbine Top
« on: March 02, 2016, 11:11:46 PM »

Introducing the Turbine Top. The Turbine Top is a 3d printed spinning top designed to accelerate as air passes through it. My inspiration was the feeling of sitting in your seat looking out the window during take off, listening to the hum of the spinning turbines on a big Boeing 747. An incredible feeling that I strive to capture in this mesmerizing piece of kinetic art. Blowing on this top will get it roaring with speed, easily spinning unassisted for longer than 5 minutes. It's incredibly easy to use and has an effective, ergonomically friendly, spiral grip that promotes a good spin. It's by far the most comfortable top in my personal collection and with out sacrificing the aesthetics that really make it look like a turbine. This top ha a wonderful campfire effect to it ... as it slows down watch closely as an illusion of speed seems to shift the direction of the spin. A faster spin will provide multiple direction changing illusions that are truly incredible to watch.

Thank you for watching, if you enjoyed the Turbine Top please share it with your friends and family! I would love to continue designing spinning tops, with your support I can continue to create and share with the world.

Get your own at https://www.shapeways.com/shops/designbydalton.

I would love to keep designing spinning tops so click like and share the video to show your support and help keep this artist in business. Thank you!

Find me on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/DesignbyDalton

And on Twitter at https://twitter.com/DesignbyDalton

**Special thanks to Ozzi for the piano, http://www.looperman.com/users/profile/672953

alan850627

Re: The Turbine Top
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 02:22:13 AM »

Woah I like this one! It seems much more refined than the tornado top you posted earlier, in my opinion. Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 02:24:30 AM by alan850627 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 12:53:52 PM »

Love this top, Dalton! Beautiful design and execution, great play value. When do you expect it to be out of beta?
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Dalton Bissell

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 01:25:20 PM »

I could take it out of beta at any time, There are 8 of them so far and they are all in working order. I do how ever plan on having hand polished versions available for quality assurance reasons. I can't expect a shapeways employee to test out the top as well as I would, it spinning is cool but I want them to be a notch above standard. I polished a few of my own prints and they all work better after a few extra hours. So, I'll have those available in my esty shop soon. It's more work, but I believe that there are enough people with a passion for tops to make the extra effort worth it.

That being said, the more expensive metals get more attention from the shapeways crew. I didn't have to polish my Brass Tornado Top at all. On top of that, shapways has an awesome customer service team that will replace a botched print or refund your money. So I think I will start being the buffer for the printer errors, start doing some post processing (the top in this video is stainless steel polished by me which certainly make it work better), test each top myself and send them out with a little more classy packaging than the shapeways crew. I think I can provide a higher quality product with out raising the prices too far.

Also worth mentioning there is a free shipping sale this week, ends march 13. I'll be taking advantage of it to test several prototypes. I can't wait to show all of you guys what I've been doing.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 08:04:36 PM »

I like your plans, Dalton! Please let me know when you have the first rhodium-finished turbine top polished by you.

Dalton Bissell

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 02:13:56 PM »

That does sound like it would be amazing, I have a tie clip in rhodium and it's a beautiful material. I'll let you know, I'll definitely doing a batch of turbine tops soon.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 03:34:15 PM »

Dalton: Glad to hear you'll be making some soon. Rhodium was one of the finishes offered on your turbine top page on Shapeways. Hope it will be an option for the coming run.

collectop

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 08:20:33 PM »

Introducing the Turbine Top. The Turbine Top is a 3d printed spinning top designed to accelerate as air passes through it. My inspiration was the feeling of sitting in your seat looking out the window during take off, listening to the hum of the spinning turbines on a big Boeing 747. An incredible feeling that I strive to capture in this mesmerizing piece of kinetic art. Blowing on this top will get it roaring with speed, easily spinning unassisted for longer than 5 minutes. It's incredibly easy to use and has an effective, ergonomically friendly, spiral grip that promotes a good spin. It's by far the most comfortable top in my personal collection and with out sacrificing the aesthetics that really make it look like a turbine. This top ha a wonderful campfire effect to it ... as it slows down watch closely as an illusion of speed seems to shift the direction of the spin. A faster spin will provide multiple direction changing illusions that are truly incredible to watch.

ordered one looks interesting can not wait to get it Thanks  Michael l Trantham

Thank you for watching, if you enjoyed the Turbine Top please share it with your friends and family! I would love to continue designing spinning tops, with your support I can continue to create and share with the world.

Get your own at https://www.shapeways.com/shops/designbydalton.

I would love to keep designing spinning tops so click like and share the video to show your support and help keep this artist in business. Thank you!

Find me on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/DesignbyDalton

And on Twitter at https://twitter.com/DesignbyDalton

**Special thanks to Ozzi for the piano, http://www.looperman.com/users/profile/672953
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:25:53 PM by ta0 »

Dalton Bissell

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 07:47:37 PM »

Hey Jeremy, I ordered a Rhodium one. I'll let you know how it turns out. It will be ready some time early next month.

Alan, thank you! I did certainly get to spend more time on this one, It was lathe friendly when it came time to polish it. I really polished quite a bit off of the outer ring and it came out looking better than I expected the shapeways steel prints could.

Also for any one who's interested, word to the wise, I've got a little sale promo going on right now, check my facebook page for the details. https://www.facebook.com/DesignbyDalton

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 12:52:25 PM »

I placed an order for a polished bronze steel turbine top using the special promotion. Looking forward to spin it!

Dalton Bissell

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 02:01:07 PM »

I'm flattered, thank you! I can't wait to hear what you think. Bronze steel was my first choice too, I ended up polishing the tip a little more than shapeways did for a better spin.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 02:11:15 PM »

Hey Jeremy, I ordered a Rhodium one. I'll let you know how it turns out. It will be ready some time early next month.

Thanks, Dalton. Looking forward to it! Let me know when I should place the order.

Dalton Bissell

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 11:42:19 PM »

The Rhodium Turbine Top is here and it's beautiful. Sure enough it works better than the stainless steel one ever could hope for. It also feels really nice in your hand, it's heavy, cold and very smooth to the touch. Clearly a success. It will be nearly impossible for me to resist printing it in Rose Gold now, so stay tuned for that.

What do you think Jeremy McCreary? Want it?

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 12:46:20 AM »

You better believe I want it, Dalton! Headed over to order it right now.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 12:53:06 AM »

Order placed, Dalton!

Curious as to how you chose the stem diameter? In a finger top like this one with a cylindrical stem and a rotor with some heft, there will be definitely be an optimal stem diameter that maximizes release speed and hence spin time.