iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: LEGO tops  (Read 2741 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
LEGO tops
« on: March 01, 2016, 04:55:00 AM »

Hi,

Writing this first post on iTopSpin to share the all-LEGO finger tops I've uploaded at http://www.moc-pages.com/folder.php/188421. Here's one I call the "Blacktron Chamberlain-class Capitulator" as a spoof on the grandiose names often given to the LEGO spaceship models posted on MOCpages:

The tops on display at the link above represent about 20% of my collection, which now includes well over 300 distinct structural designs. Many of these tops fall far outside the box WRT conventional top designs. The physics of tops (rigid body dynamics) and mechanical engineering principles (to ensure structural integrity at speed) guide all of my designs, but I also pay close attention to esthetics, both at rest and in motion.

I especially enjoy designing tops that either (i) interact with room lighting to produce interesting visual effects, like so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iPfv1vQhk4

... or (ii) incorporate moving parts that change configuration under centrifugal force to produce interesting mechanical behaviors, like these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEMUGFQTux0

Some of my LEGO tops spin over 150 sec by hand and longer with various LEGO spin-up tools like the multi-stage planetary spinner below:

Hand-twirled release speeds of 500 to 1,500 RPM are common, and aerodynamically clean tops can exceed 4,000 RPM with a motorized spinner. Release speeds and spin times are generally limited by air resistance, tip friction, and axial moment of inertia.

I'm sure that the tops usually discussed on this forum outperform mine in every way, but these spin times and release speeds are pretty good considering (i) that LEGO's proprietary ABS plastic is only 5% denser than water, and (ii) that LEGO structures typically include a lot of air.

I've made use of a wide variety of studded and studless LEGO parts and some rather novel building techniques as well.

Andromeda (studded construction):

Tank Top (rotor ring from inverted tank treads):

Since LEGO parts have tolerances of better than 1 part in 10,000, static balance is guaranteed for any symmetrical arrangement of parts about the spin axis. And since the plastic strongly resists centrifugal stresses at attainable speeds, well-designed rotor and tip assemblies are rigid enough to insure dynamic balance as well.

Any and all feedback appreciated.

Jeremy McCreary

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:48:45 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes. -- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: LEGO tops
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 09:20:46 AM »

Very, very interesting, well done and welcome to this forum.
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 11:39:31 AM »

Wow Jeremy! Very, very impressive work! 8)
And I love your explanations (I just skimmed through your detail comparison between your Andromeda top and the actual galaxy  :o )!

It is going to take me a while to go through your website and absorb all what you have there.
To embed youtube videos, just place the URL address on your post (but not the mobile type address). That is all it is needed.
To embed an image, read this post: http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,2210.0.html
I'll edit your original post so you can see two examples.

Welcome to the forum!!!

jim in paris

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 12:07:53 PM »

salut Jeremy

thanx for sharing your works with lego spintops
your skills are incredible
you are very welcome here ! :D
and also if you could make it to one of the spintop dates/events
that would be great
like Jorge,  I have to discover your website

cheers
jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 03:59:50 PM »

welcome home sir @-@
your creations are most impressive @-@

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 05:42:12 PM »

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and kind words!

I'll check the calendar for any upcoming spintop events near me (Denver, CO).

Thanks especially to ta0 for showing me how to embed images and videos. I applied the lesson to the original post.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 09:42:33 PM »

Those are some fun Lego tops.  I have a few Lego tops in my garage (the Top Spinning Hall of Fame) but they are very simple things compared to what you have made.  I like the ideas and will work on some of them.  Some of the pieces you have are the kinds of things I am not familiar with.  I will have to do some research.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 02:00:00 AM »

Many thanks, EW! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

One of my goals in joining iTopSpin is to learn everything I can from the vast expertise and experience assembled here. The other is to become an immortal demigod.