iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Austin Jugglefest report  (Read 4860 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Austin Jugglefest report
« on: February 28, 2016, 01:35:59 PM »

I had a fun time at the Austin Jugglefest (previously known as Texas Jugglefest.)

I met again Brad Wyman who had a Pass the Props table and we threw together a little bit. Another juggler who threw with us was JC who may now upgrade his beginner tops. I met a young man from Taiwan (Allen?) who had with him a couple of traditional Taiwanese tops his grandfather taught him to throw (on the ground). His family came from the south of Taiwan while the "top" township of Daxi is in the north, but he told me that many schools over there have spintop teams. He might join the forum.
Lynn Hay and her friend Owen (Smith?) were there. I told Lynn that we had met before in Rochester, but now I realize that I just recognized her from the photo on the contest. Both are interested in learning regens and I gave them some advice. They are my new inductees to the Figaro Gallery:

They even tried to spin Figaro (yes, Mike, I let them try!  ;) )

The fire top worked somewhat. I got some good flames and boomerangs and did a few rollercoasters. But most of the time I was missing the lassos. At one point the top seemed to stop working and the flame extinguished on the boomerang. Finally I figured out that perhaps I had burned too much the top edge of the wick. I inverted the coil and it started to work fine. I may have some video (I have not yet looked at what I have).

I spun the small Chinese whip top outside. The first time I had no trouble in making it whistle very loud. But then I stopped to make the whip longer and when I tried again I could not make it whistle for my life (I had to quit when I got a blister on my hand). The conditions for whistling remain a mystery to me.  :-\

By the way, the Austin group is in charge of the IJA festival in El Paso. If worlds were not the following week I would go for sure. It is very tempting but I don't see how could I do both.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:38:49 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA Jr.
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Austin Jugglefest report
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 06:07:33 PM »

Wow!  Top teams in the south of Taiwan.  That would be so cool to be a part of all of that. 

Double wow on the two people from Columbus, Ohio at the Austin Jugglefest.  Owen's last name is Smith and I have known him way back to 1990 or so.  He is a heck of a unicyclist and his son is terrific, too.  Lynn continues to amaze me.  How did we get her into top spinning?  If we could unravel that a bit maybe we could get more females whirling.  Anyway, I am jealous that they got to go all that way for that great fest and I am also jealous that they got to spin Figaro.  The world just isn't very fair sometimes.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 06:37:24 PM »

Thanks for the report, Jorge. You making it up to the RIT Jugglefest this year?
Fearless leader of the Finger Lakes Yoyo Club - PM me for info!
JRod's Yoyo Mods - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jrodsyoyomods/

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 07:34:40 PM »

*fingers crossed*

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 01:10:26 AM »

*fingers crossed*

Larry also asked me. Most likely not, but I am still considering it. I looked at some plane tickets today.

alan850627

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 12:03:53 AM »

I met a young man from Taiwan (Allen?) who had with him a couple of traditional Taiwanese tops his grandfather taught him to throw (on the ground). His family came from the south of Taiwan while the "top" township of Daxi is in the north, but he told me that many schools over there have spintop teams. He might join the forum.

Glad I joined. My grandpa was from Beigang, Yunlin (Middle of Taiwan), if that matters. While the Mei-Hua Elementary School team in the town of Daxi remains the most famous school spintop team in Taiwan (The only one with the large top I can see), there're certainly other teams spread out around the island. It's not terribly common, but not so rare either. Just a simple google search, I found 5 different schools with teams on the first page of results... and those are the ones that got media attention! There're certainly more out there. Most of these schools train their teams to target throw along with some acrobatics.

For example, here's a team at a random school.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmd0ClQ1qqA.

Of course the team from Daxi is much better, but this just shows spintop teams are not that rare in Taiwan.

Anyway, JuggleFest was awesome! See you guys there again next year :).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:15:51 AM by alan850627 »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 04:00:34 AM »

Nice show. I think for the most part the girls are better than the boys.

SpinLynn

• ITSA
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 12:09:25 AM »

The Austin Jugglefest was a great festival. I was pleased to spend time with ta0. Thanks, ta0, for letting me hold Figaro! Putting real names with forum names with faces is a challenge. Austin had two good shows and numerous workshops. One was on throwing the lasso. If you have facebook, here's a video of me testing a lasso when I got home: https://www.facebook.com/jestjugglers/videos/1743074295904005/.  I hope to to go to RIT and see some other spinners there.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 12:21:19 AM »

SpinLynn

• ITSA
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 12:29:07 AM »

That is Tony S. He's a member of the Jest Jugglers group in Columbus, Ohio. He's a juggler and performer. Multi-talented.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA Jr.
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 11:10:03 AM »

Fun little video.....and he seems to happy to have it spinning in the right place.  Go Tony S!