iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Howya get a Bulldog cap off?  (Read 3697 times)

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Howya get a Bulldog cap off?
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:29:48 PM »

I tried some searches as i'm sure this is covered somewhere but couldn't find anything, help?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Howya get a Bulldog cap off?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 12:41:25 AM »

There are two very different ways of doing it that I know.

The fast and dirty way is Alan's "crash and pray".  You just need a piece of carpet.  You throw the top as hard as you can on the carpet so it hits with the side of the body. The strains caused by the bounce will push the cap out. You will probably need to throw it several times to get it completely out. The only disadvantage of this method is that you may end up with a cap but no body as it may crack. In fact, if you drop a bulldog sidewise on tile it will easily crack, so the carpet cannot be too thin. But if it is too thick it will not work either. By the way, I used this method to separate (a little) the Throwback to look at the brass ring. But in that case as the body is metal there is no risk of it cracking.

A safer but much more elaborate way is the one I came up with. The big caveat is that you need a shop press. The cap of the bulldog fits inside of the body, so that leaves a lip the thickness of the wall that I use to push the body. To do that I first cut a hole in a piece of wood (using a hole saw) so the cap can go through but not the body. I take out the tip of the top and place the bulldog upside down on the hole in the wood and the whole thing on the shop press. I insert a rod (actually an Allen wrench) through the tip hole, slightly slanted so that it rests on the cap just to the side of the cap hole. Finally I use the press to push the rod that pushes the cap out. It is a little scary when you are doing it but I have opened at least ten and had no body breaks. There was one bulldog that I could not open because the plastic of the cap was too soft, but it was an unusual clear plastic. I once used this method to separate a double tip bulldog as somebody wanted to make a double tip HP.

If you send it to me, I can separate it by either method. But I cannot give you a 100% guaranty that you'll get the body back in one piece.  :-\

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:44:31 AM by ta0 »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 01:40:48 AM »

Thank you ta0, as always your answer is well written and very helpul.  I've used the crash and pray method for various things, though I never new it's name before.  I may have to take you up on your offer (thanks!  :D), I'll keep ya posted

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 02:46:11 AM »

I used the "crash-pray-blasfemy (sorry Mike)" method with almost good success. Only one of four was damaged.

But I use the Spanish version "A casco-porro" = I don't use carpet. The top goes directly against a hard floor. But I leave to fall the top carefully trying it hit with the wide area.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 04:06:10 AM by Pulp »
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 12:24:12 PM »

"Howya get a Bulldog cap off?"

With a Bulldog of the opposite sex?......wait, it's a dog...sex or species won't matter.   :o :o :o ;D

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 10:24:19 AM »

I have been using another technique to remove the cap. I have had 100% success with it.
Slip a thin knife edge into the joint between the cap/body and twist the blade slightly. Move a few degrees along the perimeter of the joint and repeat. You will slowly open a gap and can work the cap off without damaging it.
If you are in a hurry, there is always "Crash and Pray"

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 12:17:56 PM »

I've done it successfully the way that Alan just described.  I never been the "Crash and Pray" sort.  I find the crash is much too violent for my taste and I'm not much of a prayer.  I guess I'm more of the "MacGyver and Curse" sort.