iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: First introduction  (Read 2355 times)

DerrikH

First introduction
« on: February 07, 2016, 06:03:05 AM »

Hello guys, i'm relatively new to spinning tops as a hobby but started by making a few myself after watching some videos of the "high end EDC" versions.
Mine are very simple and not the best performing but i hope to improve as i learn more of the dynamics behind size ratios and balances.

My primary hobbies are flying model aircraft but recent regulatory stuff has put it on hold until the dust settles so to speak  :P

so here are the first four i have made all in the last 2 weeks or so.

the first is the very smallest one, which is brass and steel from some random parts i collected. i think it was a motor hub from a cd drive or something, and a press fit shaft which i shaped with a dremel and hand drill. it spins very fast but not for very long, maybe a minute or 1:30

then i made one on the lathe at work from tool steel, aluminum and a steel 1/4" ball bearing. this one is very heavy for its size and difficult to spin properly. without either a string or my motor cheater, it doesnt stay up for long. however because of its mass, when spun up with my cheater motor, i have timed up to 26 minutes of spin :D

next are the brass guys, both are from 1" brass rod with aluminum stems and silicon nitride 3/16" ball bearing contacts. the shorter one is more stable even though its about 2/3ds the weight of the taller one. it's also more balanced with much less wobble in all speeds.

these two can go for 4-5 minutes from a single flick, or up to about 14-15 minutes when motor spun.

i will build a few more brass/aluminum ones with a larger diameter aluminum core for better weight distribution and see how that works out.

i also need to just go buy a knurling tool for our lathe at work, that way i can get a better grip and hopefully increase the finger spin times.

thanks for checking out my infancy in this intriguing hobby :)

DerrikH

Re: First introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 06:04:22 AM »

more pics

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 06:32:52 AM »

welcome home sir @-@
your work is very nice  ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 12:14:44 PM »

Hi Derrik!
Good work!

There is definitely interest growing in metal finger tops. I don't know how long it will last or if it just a fad. But I welcome this new facet of the hobby which is creating more spinning top enthusiasts.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 02:34:44 PM »

Go DerrickH!  I like your tops.  Keep up the good work!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

DerrikH

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 03:56:55 PM »

thanks guys, what do you think of using motors to get them going really fast? do you feel its cheating, or just pushing them beyond "finger power"?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 04:13:38 PM »

thanks guys, what do you think of using motors to get them going really fast? do you feel its cheating, or just pushing them beyond "finger power"?
It depends on the context. Sometimes I would call it cheating, but not always.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 04:22:44 PM »

no top spinner i know would complain about too much spin  ;D lol!!!
i think the only time a motor would be frowned upon would be with the tops we usually throw lol

DerrikH

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 05:14:04 PM »

ok cool, i plan on getting a tachometer so i can say each one started at X rpm and ran for Y minutes. i am also going to try a few different devices to get them to spin faster. i'd like to see what it takes to get them really fast and stable. already with my tops i am getting them to run all around a concave mirror and only after going down to a certain speed do they stabilize in the bottom.

i am thinking that i may end up with a top that needs a bearing in its stem and a holder with another top like tip on it with adjustment for height. starting to sound more like a gyroscope at this point :P

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 03:01:24 PM »

i am thinking that i may end up with a top that needs a bearing in its stem and a holder with another top like tip on it with adjustment for height.

and when you build it.........we will come @-@