iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: world spintop contest 2017 in Iceland  (Read 45232 times)

tkunkel

• ITSA Jr.
Re: world spintop contest 2017 in Iceland
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »

I think a ladder would be great.  I am looking forward to the trip.  It should be a lot of fun to see some of the best players in the world compete.  Thanks.

Hrosik

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
  • Daniel Konecny
    • Spintop.cz
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2017, 04:28:03 PM »

We'll be there with Jakub (and girlfriends) too! Really looking forward to the contest and of course Iceland itself!

Eric

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • Eric's Photo Website
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2017, 04:48:42 PM »

:( Sadly, Dorothy and I have had to cancel our Iceland plans  :(
To everything turn, turn, turn..................

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2017, 10:30:20 PM »

Arghhh!!!  No Eric or Dorothy.  It is a sad day.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2017, 10:51:31 AM »

:( Sadly, Dorothy and I have had to cancel our Iceland plans  :(
Bummer!  We'll miss you! >:(

We'll be there with Jakub (and girlfriends) too! Really looking forward to the contest and of course Iceland itself!
Wonderful!  8)
Girlfriends? Perhaps the Czech spin brothers are beatable after all  ;D  ;D  ;D

Attila

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2017, 07:05:58 AM »

My hopes of getting to Iceland are slowly fading away as I can't find anyone who would support me and I don't think I can get enough money in time so unless someone here can help me with finding a cheap way to get there from Hungary, I will stick with just watching the stream and hope for a closer location next year :D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2017, 10:11:58 AM »

My hopes of getting to Iceland are slowly fading away as I can't find anyone who would support me and I don't think I can get enough money in time so unless someone here can help me with finding a cheap way to get there from Hungary, I will stick with just watching the stream and hope for a closer location next year :D
Don't give up.
The cheapest round trip flight I could find on google flights from Budapest to Reykjavik was $475 on Finnair for the competition days. But those prices change several times a day. You may be able to get cheaper if you look often and buy fast. Also, you may want to subscribe to the alerts from www.scottscheapflights.com (they have a free option). ITSA might be able to help you a little: it depends on what happens with the apartment and if we have another successful raffle.

By the way, I would like to hear from people (here or through a pm) if they are interested in the ITSA apartment (either paying or if they are asking for an ITSA grant). That will help us plan better.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2017, 10:10:45 AM »

48 days until worlds!!!!
Registration goes up by $30 in July (currently $30 + $30 = $60 for spintops freestyle).

Wow airlines generally charges you a lot for baggage, but for 24 hours it's offering a free checked bag from some airports (in August.) A quick check gave me that you can fly to Reykjavik from Pittsburgh August 9th and return the 14th for $480! The details of the offering:
*One checked bag is included with your ticket price and is automatically added in the booking process if you book your trip between 11 am GMT, Thursday, June 22nd and 11 am GMT, Friday, June 23rd, 2017. The baggage allowance is for one checked bag per passenger per leg of journey and is included when booking flights to Iceland from Chicago (ORD), Miami (MIA), Los Angeles(LAX), Pittsburgh (PIT) and San Francisco (SFO). Please note that the baggage allowance does not have to be chosen in the booking process, it will be added automatically if you book your flight during the 24 hours of validity and travel within the travel period of this offer.

The last day for us to cancel the ITSA apartment is July 10th. I need to hear from those interested soon.

ITSA will be budgeting the money used at worlds in the next couple of weeks. If some help from ITSA would let you attend, please, let us know! You don't lose anything by asking!

If you are still debating if going or not, just take the plunge. The world spintop community is small but special: you want to be there!

Iceland was listed by CNN as one of the 17 places to visit in 2017: link.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:40:44 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2017, 02:24:50 PM »

A new promo video of the spintop contest prepared by Jomaser of Colombia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0-0lfG5fwE

He asked for it to be hosted on an official ITSA youtube account, so I started one.

Thanks Joaquín for all the work you put into this! It looks great!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 02:27:21 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2017, 09:32:04 PM »

Just to clarify, US players can also request assistance from ITSA to compete at worlds.

This Saturday registration goes up.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2017, 07:44:54 AM »

People around these parts are really talking about Iceland.  Sadly, it is not about the top fest.  It is about Eric Clapton catching a giant fish in Iceland.  Actually, it was a salmon and it is the largest catch of the year at 28 pounds.  Can you believe it was 42.5 inches long?  So now people are suggesting that I add another verse to my Iceland song.....with Mr. Clapton and his fish, of course.  I will begin working on it tonight!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »

Well, I only have 4 people, including myself, interested in the ITSA apartment. If I don't hear from anybody else soon, I will have to cancel the reservation (the deadline for a full refund is the 10th).

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2017, 01:40:27 PM »

People around these parts are really talking about Iceland.  Sadly, it is not about the top fest.  It is about Eric Clapton catching a giant fish in Iceland.  Actually, it was a salmon and it is the largest catch of the year at 28 pounds.  Can you believe it was 42.5 inches long?  So now people are suggesting that I add another verse to my Iceland song.....with Mr. Clapton and his fish, of course.  I will begin working on it tonight!!!

I hate being upstaged by fish.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »

The freestyle rules are here: www.spintops.org/freestylerules.html
I have asked Ben to post them on the worlds site.
The only difference with respect to last year is that there won't be deductions for drops, only for winding the top on stage. However, drops can impact the Performance Score.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:51:59 AM by ta0 »

Hrosik

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
  • Daniel Konecny
    • Spintop.cz
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2017, 02:23:23 PM »

The only difference with respect to last year is that there won't be deductions for drops, only for winding the top on stage. However, drops can impact the Performance Score.

That is a good decision.

Are there any negative points (on clickers) for technical score? About 1 negative point for each drop, that wouldn't be so strict. Or will the drops only be judged in the performance score?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up