iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: which are the good tips.  (Read 3124 times)

killswitch

which are the good tips.
« on: July 28, 2009, 01:15:44 PM »

so i was wondering, and would ask more experienced top players on this. If i compare tips that are on BK/ripcord and the ones on spintactics, which do you think are better?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: which are the good tips.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 11:48:20 PM »

I don't like too much the sharp finish on one side of the groove on the Spintastics tips, I prefer a diabolo profile. I believe Cliff Coleman told me he had suggested that profile to Dale, the theory being that it would not let the string escape so easily. I would also prefer, for the Spintastics fixed tip, that the diameter of the groove was smaller. On the other hand, being pointy they are easier to control than the Duncan tips for arm walks and for body stalls (but also more painful).

killswitch

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 04:53:02 AM »

so what has a tip to have to be a good tip, in means of shape of course.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:11:19 AM »

I think it depends a lot on what you play with most.  I use the Spintastics all most all of the time and find it "different" when I use another brand.  It is a lot like cars different people like different cars for different reasons.  One may not be better than another but they are different.
Practice hard and play safe.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA Jr.
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:01:41 PM »

I, too, am really used to Spintastics. 
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 02:34:24 AM »

It depends. Some tips are good for some tricks, and other tips are good for other diferents things. Only the constant handling of tops, tips and ropes(strings) will make you know which tips are good: you must prove and practice and practice.

jim in paris

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 07:14:24 AM »

dear friend in slovakia,

about the tips

bearing king tips = plastic = more slippery, less heavy duty, but the shape is "playable"
spintastics metal tip=much better
the brass ones come with the bearing
the metal ones come as fix tip: they are grabby enough for a wirewalker but tend to stuck the string for regens
the late yyj tops tips (topdog and bulldog)= plastic tips very fragile but good shape and quite big in comparison with the top

all i can conclude is : play with the tops you have
play a lot and then you'll see what you would like improved:
the "diabolo" shaped groove "à la " cometas tops is really an improvement for regenerating the top and play almost continuously like a diabolo, it's smoother on the string and accepts centering mistakes more easily

but again it's a matter of feeling
all tops are good, i've spun all the antique tops i bought last month , with just one string(reducing the length and adjusting the throws sometimes)

good spinning

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

killswitch

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »

thanks jim, your answer really shed some light on it.

the reason i was asking is because i want to make a steel tip (ball bearing) for bearing king/ripcord. so i was wondering if it would be better to make a copy of the plastic one or to make the shape more like spintactics.