iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trompo Camp in Smyrna, Georgia (near Atlanta)  (Read 14265 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Trompo Camp in Smyrna, Georgia (near Atlanta)
« on: June 03, 2015, 11:40:48 AM »

A while back I received a message from Kirk about a possible Trompo Camp offered by his church.  If I remember correctly, they had a soccer camp last year.  Good idea to switch to a top spinning theme in an area where there are many Spanish speaking people!!!

Kirk has been pretty busy with a lot of things in his life so I offered to start a thread about this camp.  He said he would add where he could.  Best of all, I think, could be some of the pictures that may come up later from the event.

I have tried my best to keep an eye on this camp because I love the idea and I haven't had any official time off lately.  The good news is that my week is still looking open so I might be able to attend the first day!!!  The camp will be June 10-12 (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night) from 7-9 in Smyrna, Georgia.  It is to the north of Atlanta and just south of Marietta.

It sounds like they have a shelter reserved and a bunch of peg tops to give away.  They are hoping for 30 children.  Kirk says they need some spinning areas and I can come through with that for him.  I also hope to bring some finger spinners to give away.  What I would really like is to be able to bring my lathe and some wood (or plastic) so I could make a few tops while I was there.  I am still working on that.

Anyway, that is some of the information on this camp which will start in one week.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Trompo Camp in Smyrna, Georgia (near Atlanta)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 08:24:13 PM »

Thanks for getting this info posted.  It will be supper cool if you can come.  There is a power outlet near the pavilion.

OOPS Time is 5:00 to 7:00 - not 7 to 9
However we expect to be spinning much later than 7:00
Ages 8 to 88

Address: 2270 Benson Poole Rd SE, Smyrna, GA 30082

Description: Chuck Camp Park is located in the northwest part of the city, directly behind Cobb Center Mall (and Publix) on South Cobb Drive. The park includes ball fields, a playground, gazebo, open space, and walking trails.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:35:28 AM by Kirk »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 11:09:26 PM »

Smyrna? I looked it up in Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smyrna), and Smyrna is not in Georgia. It is on the coast, so it might by near Atlantis, I don't know. But at least it is in a country bordering Georgia: Turkey  :P

Good luck with the event! I hope you get many kids throwing tops. I look forward to an entry for the photo contest!

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 11:53:54 PM »

Kirk,  We are making plans to show up on Wednesday 10th to help you anyway we can. However, I need an address to put into a GPS. We can't leave Alabama until my older son gets off work at 3:00 pm CST. We would stay longer but the wife is leaving town on Friday. Looking forward to the fun.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:00:34 AM by Shootist »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 03:00:32 AM »

The party is on!  What a treat to know my good friends the Hickersons will be there!!!  Maybe we can find a good place to watch Eli eat ribs?

I do not know exactly where you are located but I see Birmingham to Atlanta is just a couple of hours.

It is great to know there is a power outlet near the pavilion.  This is really getting to be an exciting get away for me.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 03:22:39 AM »

I was reading a little about Smyrna and I see where Sherman's troops marched through there during the Civil War and caused a lot of destruction.  Another good bit of trivia is that Julia Roberts is from that town!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 05:57:19 PM »

goood luck kirk!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 05:57:55 PM »

I was reading a little about Smyrna and I see where Sherman's troops marched through there during the Civil War and caused a lot of destruction.  Another good bit of trivia is that Julia Roberts is from that town!

and musnt forget kendama usa ships there stuff out of smyrna  ;)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 07:30:55 PM »

We are getting fired up for Trompo Camp.  Life thew us several curve balls, so we are a bit behind on organizing our first Trompo Camp.  We are praying, hoping and working towards a fun time.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 11:05:05 PM »

Glad to hear you are fired up for Trompo Camp, Kirk.  I have hopes of getting ideas from what you all are doing.  I also have hopes of being there early and setting up my lathe for fun and for attracting attention.

I did not know about Kendama USA shipping out of Smyrna.  Good tip, Jack.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 11:35:52 PM »

I checked tonight at the park. There is indeed electricity near the pavilion.  We will need an extension cord (about 50 feet).  I can bring one.

Also in Atlanta, at the High Museum there is an interesting art exhibit.
https://www.high.org/Art/Exhibitions/Los-Trompos-Spinning-Tops.aspx

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »

Los Trompos?  That is a GREAT display.  I can't wait to see it in person.  Thanks for the heads up, Kirk!!!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 07:06:53 PM »

Promo looks great!  I saw a new way of placing a top in a youngsters hand there too.  I'll have to try that.  Hope you have a great time!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 08:32:39 PM »

That "Los Trompos" interactive sculpture looks perfect for a place to take a spintop photo for the contest.

Good luck with the camp! If you print flyers and there is a left over (after Mike gets one for the Hall of Fame), save it for my collection, please.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up