iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 3" delrin top  (Read 3008 times)

dazzlingdave

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
    • dazzlingdave.com
3" delrin top
« on: May 26, 2015, 09:46:45 PM »

http://youtu.be/rRNwBTeJwbk

Here's a video slideshow documenting the making of my most recent spin top.  It is made from Delrin, and started out at about 3 inch. As time went on I had to make it smaller and smaller and well things happened. Take a look at the video let me know what you think.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: 3" delrin top
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 10:06:58 PM »

It just take practice. I would stay with Poplar wood until you get the top you like. Delrin, is expensive and heavy. I would like a four inch black one with 3/16 wall thickness made on a C.N.C.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 10:02:51 AM »

Thanks for sharing Dave.  Remounting pieces and expecting them to be balanced can sometimes be disappointing. Too bad, but a great looking top at least.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 10:20:24 AM »

Hey Dave, Nice work, that is a good shape...don't give up! 

I've managed to save a few that I was disappointed with, but often only after backing away for a while :)

One thing that has helped me is to always use the tailstock to keep thinngs lined up whenever I remount.

Also, I like to give 'em a quick test spin on the lathe before each new cutting.  If everything is lined up and they spin true, cut away! but if I detect any wobble, I try to remount again...not perfect, but usually helps. 

Sometimes I'll bore pilot hole all the way through right at the beginning and try to use this to help keep things lined up.

Cheers!
Erratic Wobbler

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 12:13:51 AM »

Make a delrin plug and re cut the the hole. Rework can be fun. And you learn more by your mistakes. I make a lot of mistakes - but I am 70 years old. It's also fun to come up with different excuse. Try it.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 04:52:41 PM »

Dave,
It sounds like you had a fun adventure even though the final result is not what you hoped for.  An interesting machinist trick is to mark the work and always line it up with Jaw #1.  Chucks are not perfect but are usually consistent. By putting the part back in the same way it came out, you have a better chance to keep it true.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »

Good advice in here.  #1 Jaw marking and use cheap materials for a while.