iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sports Division Question  (Read 2976 times)

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
Sports Division Question
« on: May 08, 2015, 01:18:25 AM »

Just trying to get more stuff clear in my head. I'm also experimenting with different tops, figuring out what works best for me on certain tricks.

So, as has been told to me, in corkscrew, I can return the top to my hand however I want. This helps a bit.

I"m asking questions based on inconsistencies I am having an ways to work within them or work even harder to do things properly.

How long must one have the top returned to their hand to consider the trick "complete"? What degree of control should be exhibited? Ideally, I want the top as motionless as possible while spinning, but if I can just keep it spinning in my hand, I'll be happy. Usually I can get it pretty smooth.

So, lets say I have a bad throw, and I catch the top in my non-throw hand and then transfer it to my throw hand(left to right/throw hand). Provided I am starting the actual trick with my right hand, does this matter?

If I am doing wire walker, which I normally from throw hand to non-throw hand, is there a problem doing it in reverse or is that a different trick? If so, would it matter which hand I catch it in?

Working with the Strummol8 Love top, I find the string is just a bit too short for me to pull off completing Corkscrew. Is it allowed to use a second longer string for trick performing, while I just use the other string just for throwing?
If "yes", well, I better go cut myself a string and make a button, or I may have something around here.... I got appropriate string!

Am I to assume correctly that whatever tip type I choose to use for a trick is my choice/problem?
Similarly, I can change-up tops as I see fit, correct?

Is a bearing or fixed tip better for arm walker. I'm having about the same results either way. I am finding I am not enjoying the Spintastics HP Hornet with the diabolo tip that much. I prefer the "regular" tip. I need to see if I need a replacement tip or replace the whole top. I am leaning towards replacement top because having the diabolo tip just provides another element of challenge for practice and self-training.

I was mostly playing one of my 2 Love tops today. The more I play them, the more I like them. My go-to is still the STB 2.0, of which I'd like to get a second. I wouldn't mind getting a second Gulia as well. The STB 2.0 and Sophia(s) seem to be my main go-to tops. I do like the weight on the Spintastics Quicksilver Hybrid Bearing, and I am looking to get a fixed tip one soon as well, hoping that extra weight will equate to longer and strong spin times.

Regardless of how well I am doing, I am having a great time. This next week I'm going to start on simpler tricks such as hacky top, under the leg boomerang.l I feel I'll get those both quickly and easily. Not sure what will be next. My wire walker is good, but I have issues with the top I normally use for that. I want to try racetrack soon. Based on corkscrew, I feel I can eventually get to the point of handling orbits. My main concern is tricks like trapeze and the re-gen type tricks. Stuff like around the world and hop the fence look relatively easy to master. Spin tops move relatively slow compared to yoyos, so I've been really able to discover where and why I messed up, allowing me to focus on fixing those issues one by one.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Sports Division Question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »

How long must one have the top returned to their hand to consider the trick "complete"? What degree of control should be exhibited? Ideally, I want the top as motionless as possible while spinning, but if I can just keep it spinning in my hand, I'll be happy. Usually I can get it pretty smooth.
The rules state 5 sec which is a very long time.  From what I have seen judges will let you go with a bit less (3 to 4 sec)
So, lets say I have a bad throw, and I catch the top in my non-throw hand and then transfer it to my throw hand(left to right/throw hand). Provided I am starting the actual trick with my right hand, does this matter?
I intended to catch with my left hand. :)  Many tricks can start from either hand like hackey, wire walker, mach5, gyroflop ...
Similarly many tricks can end in either hand.
If I am doing wire walker, which I normally from throw hand to non-throw hand, is there a problem doing it in reverse or is that a different trick? If so, would it matter which hand I catch it in?
either is OK. It took me a long time to learn the left to right wire walker.
Am I to assume correctly that whatever tip type I choose to use for a trick is my choice/problem?  Similarly, I can change-up tops as I see fit, correct?
The rules specifically allow this.
Is a bearing or fixed tip better for arm walker. I'm having about the same results either way.
IMHO it is not an arm walker with a bearing tip.  If the tip is not spinning, how can the top walk?

Have Fun!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 09:48:52 AM »

The rules state 5 sec which is a very long time.  From what I have seen judges will let you go with a bit less (3 to 4 sec)
More like 2 to 3 sec  ::)

IMHO it is not an arm walker with a bearing tip.  If the tip is not spinning, how can the top walk?
Indeed; by the current rules, a fixed tip is needed for arm walker.
If the rules don't specify fixed-tip, you can use any tip. You can change tops between tricks as you like.

Working with the Strummol8 Love top, I find the string is just a bit too short for me to pull off completing Corkscrew. Is it allowed to use a second longer string for trick performing, while I just use the other string just for throwing?
If "yes", well, I better go cut myself a string and make a button, or I may have something around here.... I got appropriate string!
I believe the judges will let you do that. But the Love doesn't spin as long as your other S8 tops: you are making it more difficult!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 02:32:54 PM »

Thanks for the answers.

1: I'd been using a time of 5 seconds, as it seemed more appropriate, but many times I'll see if I can keep a fixed tip spinning for 10 seconds after a trick. My perhaps flawed thought process is if I can hold it longer, I probably did the trick cleaner and lost less spin. I will continue with 5 seconds, as it does make sense and it does feel like a long time.

2: I have been using bearing tips for arm walker, and I see your point.(ahem...) A bearing tip is sliding, not walking, so I will change to a fixed tip. I can do it with a bearing tip, kinda sorta. I gotta scoot it along.

3: Regarding the Love top, I am aware it spins for less time than my other Strummol8's, but I know I have ample spin time to do corkscrew. The idea is to challenge myself and push my envelope in the ultimate objective of hoping to improve my overall play ability. As of right now, the string is just too short and that's making the trick impossible at the moment, but I know I can do corkscrew if I had a longer string to transfer to. As my goal is the sports division at US National YoYo Contest in 2015, I want to ensure whatever I am practicing is in compliance with the rules.(which I admit I haven't read)
My goal isn't to win, but to at least beat a few of my friends, but at the very least, not come in last! The reality is I probably won't be using the Love tops for this competition, but it's always nice to have options!

Anyhow, back to "work". Thank you so much for the information, I will be applying it immediately. If I have more questions, I know this is the place to go for the best advice.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 03:40:59 PM »

hello chris

bravo for your progression
armwalker shouldn't be too difficult...

about the lovetop i remember Tyler Young used to throw it with long kitty string
have you tried that ?

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 04:54:33 PM »

I am finding I am not enjoying the Spintastics HP Hornet with the diabolo tip that much. I prefer the "regular" tip.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 04:55:56 PM by ta0 »