iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Corkscrew Challenge 2009 video  (Read 8549 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Corkscrew Challenge 2009 video
« on: November 18, 2009, 08:45:57 AM »

I finally edited the video from the Corkscrew Challenge at Worlds.
Enjoy! (at least I did  ;))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgBUZhXpAQ
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgBUZhXpAQ[/youtube]

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: Corkscrew Challenge 2009 video
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 09:24:18 AM »

thanx jorge

great fun and high skills in a super friendly atmosphere!

i enjoyed the french song in the background  ,too  ;)

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Trevor

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 11:08:08 AM »

that's ta0-wow! 11 rounds on the cockscrew! congrats on breaking the world record, Jorge.  ;D

jeffs

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 11:42:38 AM »

Great event, great performances, great video account. Thanks everybody!! It was really fun to watch.
Jeff Smith, Kalamazoo, MI

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 10:43:25 PM »

There are so many things going on at the same time at worlds that it was difficult to find a time slot to do the corkscrew challenge. For example, Dick and yohans could not make it because they were with the yo-yo world records (we had tried to get the main stage just before that but were kicked out by the "action-packed" Buddha-sleeper  ::)) Alan, Eric and Kyle were running the modding contest, so they could just sneak out briefly.

Except for Alan who skipped all the way to 10 wraps and Dale who only made one throw, the rest went in order starting at 4 wraps (I didn't show the 4s to shorten the video). I have Dale as doing 6 wraps because that was announced, but now looking at the video I think those were just 5. Anyway, we'll give the "Old Master" the extra credit  :) It is interesting the contrast between Mike's very slow corkscrew (using a TB) and Chris' very fast (using a BK). But both keep the arm much lower than Tom and me.

thanx jorge

great fun and high skills in a super friendly atmosphere!

i enjoyed the french song in the background  ,too  ;)

jim

Yes, it was super friendly. But I have the feeling next year it may be more competitive . . . I expect the video to raise the stakes.  I bet the record will be broken . . .  And we will have a corked bottle to open with the trophy  :D

Yes, French music in your honor, Jim. However, it should have been more in the background. It is a great song but now I cannot take out of my head  . . .
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:59:07 AM by ta0 »

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 03:57:58 AM »

nice video ta0! the thing that kills me was shortly after the contest i easily managed 6 wraps...why couldn't i do it for the contest?! i wish i could say i've been practicing but i haven't. i hope to make it to worlds next year for another feeble attempt at victory. it's fun and the post contest beverage was a nice treat.  ;D

Trevor

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 08:06:37 AM »

talking about wraps . . . . after watching your video yesterday, it inspired me to go practice my cockscrew today . . . . and i finally nailed my first proper one, 3 wraps! That was just 30 minutes ago, managed to do another 5-6 proper cockscrews after that. Have been trying to do it for the past few weeks but failed . . . . wonderful what an inspiring video can do!  ;)

Thanks once again ta0 for the video.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 11:27:41 AM »

That is wonderful, Trevor!

Corkscrew is one of the most showy tricks. It is also a trick that can be made in a very consistent way. So it is an ideal trick to show the general public. And you do not have to do more than 3 wraps (unless you want to compete in the Challenge.)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 03:40:05 PM »

Like always, great work Jorge.  The corkscrew is not something that I have practiced much lately........and definitely not any before worlds last year.  I was happy to finally get a decent run with 5 wraps.  The string kept getting caught on my arm and on my fingers in funny ways.  I believe the sweat from the freestyles caused some of these problems.  Perhaps if I had a shower before the corkscrew competition I would do better and people around me would be happier!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

RunBMC

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 06:27:35 PM »

i cant even do 4 wraps!
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

Jeromy K.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 06:47:26 PM »

I can only get 4 wraps then I run out of string, what do you do with the extra string when you throw? Do you wrap it around your finger or some thing else?

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 08:58:37 PM »

I think ta0 loosely wraps the extra string around his throw hand fingers.  I read the rules once, I can't remember if it is allowed to use a separate string.

ta0 - what top did you use?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 10:38:54 PM »

The Throwback has a hole on the crown so you can put the extra string inside . . . but only to store it  ;D

The rules this year did not allow a separate string.

(EDITED this paragraph)
What Tom and I did was wrap the top normally, then wrap the string one or two times around one finger, put the button behind the fingers and hold the rest of the string (between them) as a ball in the fist. You can drop the ball of string just before catching the top on the hand. Alan did it a little differently: he let the button fall on the ground after throwing the boomerang, and then he just picked it up.

At 11 wraps you are getting to the limit of how long a string you can swing around the arm. That is why I wrap the first three turns by going around my right arm with my left hand. If we eventually get to 15 wraps we will need other "advanced techniques" such as having the string on a spool in order to do it. I am pretty sure the record will go up to 15 in the next few years. Now, 16 to 20 will probably be a struggle.

Alan, Tom and myself used Throwbacks. I think to be competitive you need either a YYF or a YYJ top, preferably the Throwback or the Gates, but an Acrobat or a Topdog could also work. I don't see a Trompo Bearing or a Bearing King breaking the record.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 09:54:59 AM by ta0 »

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 12:02:17 AM »

The time I got 14 wraps I used a spool of string with a button on one end to wrap with, I guess I used a seperate string to throw with, but I don't actually remember.  Of course when it came to the actual contest a few hours later, I didn't end up getting nearly as many wraps  :(

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »

. . .  I believe the sweat from the freestyles caused some of these problems.  Perhaps if I had a shower before the corkscrew competition . . .

I think most people here do not know that you had your own personal air conditioning device in the freestyle waiting area. That topped anything the yoyoers have ever done! You should bring it to the corkscrew challenge next year.

Of course when it came to the actual contest a few hours later, I didn't end up getting nearly as many wraps  :(

Mmm, perhaps a shower with Mike would help  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I am sure next year John B. will have no excuses  ;)

By the way, I reviewed the film and Dale announced 5 not 6 wraps, so the error was my mine. There is another big mix-up on the editing of the video, but it doesn't matter, it made it more interesting . . .
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up