iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Teaching tops  (Read 4543 times)

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
Teaching tops
« on: November 13, 2009, 10:52:01 PM »

A number of my younger and newer top spinners are making progress very quickly.  One of my 3rd graders, who's ready to test for his 8 trick award, landed trapeze a number of times today. He was able to land it on the string and correct it back to his hand.  So was another one of my brand new players (4th grade) who just started playing in Sept. and just learned Boomerang last week.  I also have three 1st graders who are making great progress and can all three do boomerang.  It's really nice to have another group of players who are hooked since my more advanced players are not playing much these days.  I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that I haven't been advancing quickly enough to keep them interested.

Here's someone else who teaches tops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PydI45kHCrE&NR=1

p.s. Ta0, we need to do some research to find that book for those of us who collect ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:56:42 PM by SpinQueen »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Teaching tops
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:15:38 PM »

...my more advanced players are not playing much these days.  I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that I haven't been advancing quickly enough to keep them interested.
I'm sure familiar with that feeling.  My yo-yo career started at Wind Wizards, a kite store in Kansas City.  I was in charge of the yo-yo workshop (we spun tops too).  At the peak of the craze I was running a workshop 4 nights a week at as many locations, up to 80 kids under my care at one location.  Kids who graduated from the workshop, called Pro Spinners, helped me teach the undergrads.  My Pro Spinners are all very dear to me.  It seemed overnight many had caught up with my skill level, and nobody was learning anything.  I was losing sleep over it.  About that time we started doing tours, a few of them went to worlds and nationals, and we all just sort of moved forward as a group.  My army of Wind Wizards Pro Spinners!  My favorite memories.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 01:40:40 AM »

I feel the same, it's very gratefull. The kids of my neighbourhood are learning so fast. They ask me for very advanced tricks. One of them make the snap start easyly. Other works well with single sattelites. Yesterday I saw 9 magnetic wires (=double sattelites) in the hands of another.

In the last cometa contest the 5th last finalist was "My kids". Tomorrow is the great end of Trompos Cometa promotional season with an X-box 360 as first price. They are very exciting, and me too (now is 7:35 in the morning and I can't sleep more).
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 02:50:46 AM »

I'm happy to hear about how everyone is doing with their top spinning groups.  Keep up the great work, SpinQueen!  Where would the top spinning world be without you?

Pulp, sorry to hear the Trompo Cometa season is over but it sounds like it was a good one for you.  How long do you think it will be before they come back again?

yophosis......pretty amazing stuff.  I had no idea you were so heavily involved with such large groups in Kansas City.  How long ago was that?

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:10:53 AM »

yophosis......pretty amazing stuff.  I had no idea you were so heavily involved with such large groups in Kansas City.  How long ago was that?
My Wind Wizard Days were roughtly 1997 through 1999, ending when Duncan hired me October of '99 to do the RV Tour; New Jersey to Los Angeles in 2-1/2 months, doing school assemblies and store demos along the way, all by my lonesome.  I preferred my previous position.  However, without the isolation period, I would not have approached my next life with such conviction - Architecture career, Wife, House, Kid.  (Sorry for the tangent, it just sort of gushed out).

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 11:43:18 AM »

Pulp, sorry to hear the Trompo Cometa season is over but it sounds like it was a good one for you.  How long do you think it will be before they come back again?

I ask this morning that to Salvador de la Rosa. It is unknown. The precedent time was 2 years ago. One time each year will be good, withou guarantees.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 02:53:03 PM »

yophosis - wow, I didn't know you were an architect.  Great!

Pulp - it's not so great to hear you might have to wait two whole years before the Cometa team comes back.  That's a long time......too long.