iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: El trompo en el arte: Juegos Infantiles, pintura de Pieter Bruegel el viejo.  (Read 4816 times)

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member

In this detail I extracted from an old enciclopedy, you can notice one of the most typical images of tops.
I remembered I saw this painting many years ago, (in that then I wasn`t even top player) and is very exciting to see is a image from the XVI century.
Is the image of three boys playing top.
One of them gives more impulse to the regenaration of top by whipping with a kind of whiplash.
Enjoy it.
(Later, ta0 will put the photo...thanks ta0)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:22:27 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

Done (you need to be logged-in to see it).

I know I have seen that painting before. It is a detail of a much larger town scene with lots of games. I think it was on the cover of one of the newsletters from the Barcelona collectors club.

Whip tops have been very popular in different cultures at different times, specially where it is cold enough to spin them on ice.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 09:25:25 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

Hmmm?  Whip tops on ice!  I never thought of that before.  That sounds exciting.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper

How about a whip top video?

Whip top skyrocket anyone?
Erratic Wobbler

SpinQueen

• Superhero member

Let's do it Poptop....I can hear the music now....da na na na na....Crack that whip....

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector

With reference to the "whip top skyrocket"  ---- The whip top in the "hands" of a skilled player, could be moved along down a lane or sidewalk, etc. by lifting the stick/whip at just the right moment, propelling the top down the street.  I have heard stories of kids walking along to school propelling their top ahead of them.
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper

The original "walk the dog"?  This I've got to see.  Maybe I better start lookin' to find a whip top.

I can see it now, next time I visit the SpinQueen we'll be having whip top races down the sidewalk...

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

Hmmm?  Whip tops on ice!  I never thought of that before.  That sounds exciting.

The funny thing is that if you ever happen to find an ancient top while digging a hole in your backyard, it will most likely be a whip top. That was the most common top among the people who lived there when there was no Miamisburg! According to Culin's book, Games of North American Indians, top spinning was mostly a winter game among Native Americans.

The original "walk the dog"?  This I've got to see.  Maybe I better start lookin' to find a whip top.

The III collective video (I will soon start bugging everybody  ::)) has whip as one of the tricks. So I fully expect to see some whip top action!