iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Why a new board?  (Read 3708 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Why a new board?
« on: November 02, 2014, 03:17:12 PM »

Jim suggested I should start a new board to discuss the implementation of future associations and federations.
I believe the time has come.
Use this thread to discuss the timing or the wisdom of such a project. Use other threads on this board to discuss the specifics.

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Why a new board?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 05:31:32 PM »

wooooooow trippy

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 01:43:36 PM »

hi all

indeed i asked Jorge to open a new section here so that we could discuss and eventually build an international association dedicated to spintops :  the play and the toy but also more broadly the culture and the traditions in each country , plus the scientific aspects...
not only would it make it easier to organize contests at an international level and thus splitting from the yoyo world in the future but also it would enable us to link the different knowledges which today are scattered all around and possibly have access to grants from various institutions

i have already drafted basic status and goals / intentions for this association
i would very much like  to hear your feedback before i post a work-in- progress

this is serious/any ideas and commitment are very welcome

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 02:33:46 PM »

We have had 15 years of World spintop contests, but they were ad-hoc without any entity giving them a stamp of approval. The yo-yoers now have their own international federation and although they are willing to host us one more year in Japan (if we decide to go), we are not part of their charter.

As a concrete example of why it would be good to have a federation recognized by an international entity, Enrique Leal had talks last month with the Colombian government agency in charge of promoting sports. They gave him a list of international institutions, saying that if we were affiliated with any of them they would sponsor a world contest in Colombia, providing the logistics and significant funding. The list includes the International Olympic Committee and such, but when I checked all the sports recognized, there were many things like Tug of War. I think we have at least as big a claim to be a sport as Tug of War.

In addition to organizing and validating the contests, as Jim says, an association will help in the exchange of knowledge between different spintop cultures around the world. Although the community that plays with tops in our acrobatic or juggling style is very small, there are millions of people who play in some fashion with spinning tops. Our goal is to promote all variations of top play.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 05:30:16 PM »

im convinced this international association (i spelled those last 2 words correctly i feel good about myself  ;D) is a great idea to keep this craft alive and to bring players together, but what would individuals like myself be able to do to further this endeavor? how does one go about this sort of thing?