iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TA0's Trick Patch  (Read 25608 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
TA0's Trick Patch
« on: October 30, 2014, 09:02:36 PM »

Here is my patch:

After about 15 years of playing I wanted to make a nostalgia patch with tricks I developed over all these years. There are no new tricks on the patch, they are all tricks I posted video before (except for a variation of drum roll that I put there as optional). As far as I know I posted the first videos of all of them, gave them names and made them known. Some might have been created independently by somebody else (I bet the boomerang pirouette had). I had quite a few tricks to chose from, enough for at least three patches, and deciding which ones to leave out was sometimes hard. In the end I decided to have alternative tricks for each of the 8 tricks for a total of 16. I left out double-tip tricks and stacked tricks as not everybody has the tops required. I did put Pencil Sharpener because it can be done with several other tops besides the HP.

To obtain the patch you only need to do 8 tricks, no matter which ones. That gives you the right to a patch with a white belt. If you do one trick of each number, you can put the green belt. Every trick of one of the two lists (a or b) gives you the right to the brown belt. If anybody ever completes all 16 they can use the black belt. I will have some real patches made with a white edge that you can paint accordingly.

(for the forum signature you can incorporate the color on the background of the outside letters to make it more compact)

The tricks are:

1 a. Staircase to Heaven
At least 3 wraps. Important: The top has to end spinning on the hand above the head. Throwing the top in the air is not valid.
1 b. Reversible Corkscrew
At least 3 wraps. The top needs to go around the arm or hand, it cannot end doing MGR below the hand.
2 a. World Hitchhiker
At least 3 revolutions around the stretched finger. No more than one-and-a-half twists around the tip when you start it.
2 b. Boleadoras
At least one revolution on each side and above the head.  No more than one-and-a-half twists around the tip when you start it.
3 a. Upside Down Corkscrew
At least 3 wraps.
3 b. Vortex (Horizontal Corkscrew)
At least 3 revolutions around the arm (this means 2 wraps while setting up the trick).
4 a. Wizard Gyro
At least 4 reversals, each time the top stopping for one second with the crown pointing towards the camera.
4 b. Flip Flop
At least 2 flops in each direction, alternating front and back. Top controlled after each flop.
5 a. Spinning Spider
At least 15 reps. Can start from throw. Fixed tip.
5 b. Drum Rolls
At least 15 reps. Can start from throw. Fixed tip. The 2-arm version is optional.
6 a. Upside Down Boomerang-Lasso to UD Crazy 8's
At least two complete UD Crazy 8's.
6 b. Pencil Sharpener
If done with the bottom of a Mexican top I won't require inversion, just to keep it 2 seconds.
7 a. Jump Rope plus Circular Saw
No more than one-and-a-half twists around the tip to start.
7 b. Lasso Pirouette
From boomerang.
8 a. Loop Regens Over Hands
At least 15 reps. Fixed tip.
8 b. Crossover
Can use Spintowin bearing-tip-points when they become available.

Of course, all the tricks need to finish spinning on the hand. Below is the video. But read the descriptions carefully as on the video I many times do more repetitions or wraps than needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qnqeUXmxeo

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:04:56 PM by ta0 »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: TA0's Trick Patch
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:59:41 PM »

LOL, always have to go over the top, dontcha?

My memory may not be serving me well I dunno, but I must ask; I thought Spinning Spiders was Salvador's?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 10:52:29 PM »

Well, what can I say.  Very impressive list. 

Nice.  Very nice.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:01:42 PM »

LOL, always have to go over the top, dontcha?

My memory may not be serving me well I dunno, but I must ask; I thought Spinning Spiders was Salvador's?
The first video compilation of tricks I ever made I called it "over the top"!  ;D

The original thread for Spinning Spiders is here: www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,352.msg2769.html#msg2769
I was trying to figure out how to do Salvador's trick Fishing Spiders and came up with this version. The thread has the original video and Salvador's explanation of the differences. I generally don't have trouble finding names for tricks but this time asked for help with possible names for my variation and the winner was one of the Neff proposals, Spinning Spider  ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:03:50 PM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:54:22 PM »

well done sir! 15 years of hard work have made you a world expert and that video proves it. i enjoyed watching that immensely. my training for your patch begins..........NOW!

p.s  patch design is epic
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:58:35 AM by Jack »

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 10:55:38 AM »

The best tricks and multiple ways to earn a patch.  Thanks Ta0 for pushing us all to be better.

Just out of curiosity could we have a rundown on which tops you chose for the tricks?  Many styles may be more suited for the trick than others. 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 12:26:02 PM »

Thanks!

The best tricks and multiple ways to earn a patch.  Thanks Ta0 for pushing us all to be better.

Just out of curiosity could we have a rundown on which tops you chose for the tricks?  Many styles may be more suited for the trick than others.
Very good question, Rick.
I mostly used modded Hollow Points (a red and a silver one) for the fixed tip tricks and Giulias for the bearing tricks (I replaced the yellow with the nice dye job for a blue one if I was concerned of the top flying away and getting marred). The exceptions were the following.
For Staircase to Heaven I wanted a better walker than the narrow tips on my HPs, so I used a stock QSH with original tip.
For Flip Flop I believe a thicker neck gives you more torque for the flop, so I used a QSH bearing (it makes little noise because I took it from my display case and the bearing still has grease).
On the video I do the UD Lasso with an HP but I also recorded it with a Giulia bearing tip. I also recorded Pencil Sharpener with the bottom of a QHS bearing.

Now, a top that would facilitate significantly some of these tricks would be a Chico 2.0 because of the super-sized head. I would recommend it for the around-the-world tricks and the upside-down tricks. Also, an oversize/heavy top (e.g. a 3" or 4" Markus HDPE) should facilitate the regen tricks.

well done sir! 15 years of hard work have made you a world expert and that video proves it. i enjoyed watching that immensely. my training for your patch begins..........NOW!

p.s  patch design is epic

I recommend you start with Reversible Corkscrew as that is a trick everybody should know. Then learn Wizard Gyro, which is probably the easiest one.  The around-the-world tricks (2a, 2b, 7a) are the next ones, but only if you can practice in a park where a flying top will not hit somebody or get lost! I guess they are more summer tricks. From there, perhaps Staircase to Heaven or Pencil Sharpener, but they start to get more difficult. Leave for the very last Vortex, UD lasso, Drum Roll, and Crossover as they will probably be the most frustrating to learn.

Hroch

• ITSA
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 05:00:36 PM »

Good job! It's really great patch, difficult and interesting tricks. Division to classes A and B and more difficulty levels is also good idea. I hope we'll get black belt soon  >:D

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 06:48:36 PM »

I guess we all knew a Ta0 patch wouldn't be easy ;)  Nice work, now back to practicing...

thanks!
Erratic Wobbler

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 08:19:19 PM »

Awesome array of tricks for this patch!
Fearless leader of the Finger Lakes Yoyo Club - PM me for info!
JRod's Yoyo Mods - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jrodsyoyomods/

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 10:57:13 AM »

Good job! It's really great patch, difficult and interesting tricks. Division to classes A and B and more difficulty levels is also good idea. I hope we'll get black belt soon  >:D

:) I think that the black belt is as difficult as learning Czech .  .  wait!   :P  To tell you the truth, I have seen Daniel and you do some of these tricks on freestyles, so I fully expected you to be the first ones to achieve it.

miguelanchelo

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 03:00:24 PM »

Aquí os dejo el parche, al final he conseguido hacer 8 trucos, poco a poco lo iré perfeccionando. ;)
¿Qué os parece?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 10:35:25 AM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »

Aquí os dejo el parche, al final he conseguido hacer 8 trucos, poco a poco lo iré perfeccionando. ;)
¿Qué os parece?

bien hecho!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 04:54:39 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 05:28:28 PM »

You are the first one to try it, congratulations miguelanchelo!
It was a very good attempt. A few of the tricks need a little more work.
My comments in the order that you filmed them:

1b- Reversible Corkscrew
Very good.
3b- Vortex
I wish the video was more clear. It seems to me that at least the last one goes in front of the arm and not around the arm. I would like you to record it again.
3a - UD corkscrew
You invented a new way to get into it! I can accept it. But if you are going to film the tricks again, I would prefer that the top was more vertical and that you clearly completed at least 3 turns (looks more like 2 and a half).
1a - Staircase to Heaven
I said that I was going to be picky on this one (Zenith already had it on his patch). On the first attempt you come down below your head. On the second one you throw the top in the air and catch it again. It was very close, but I want it a little better.
5b - Drum Rolls
Very good (this was one of the ones I considered difficult).
4a - Wizard Gyro.
Very good.
4b -Flip Flop
Very good.
6a - UD boomerang/lasso to UD crazy eights.
This trick requires the lasso to catch the top upside down. You cannot lasso and then reverse the top. This is a difficult trick.

You did a great job. Four are perfect and one acceptable. You are very close on Staircase to Heaven and probably on Vortex.
If you replace 6a by 2a or 2b you should get the patch soon.

Were you using a Energia Elec-Trick top for some of the tricks?

miguelanchelo

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 08:00:57 AM »

si, estaba usando el trompo de tamaño normal de rodamiento, de energía, el juego con el es bastante bueno.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up