iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Diet R/C?  (Read 3785 times)

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Diet R/C?
« on: September 29, 2014, 12:02:28 PM »

I have decided to send my B/K to Chris Neff to be modded.  All of the Diet B/K mods just make so much sense to me.

My question is whether or not it makes equal sense to also have the same mods made to my R/C.  I'd like to have a nice bearing-tip top, and a nice fixed tip top, as well.

Thoughts, Chris?  (oh, and I need to know where to send the top(s)....)

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Diet R/C?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 09:30:31 PM »

i know ur asking neff but if i may be so bold  :-[ you are correct it makes equal if not more sense to diet your RC because the effects will be most evident with fixed tip play IMHO. again sorry to hijack  :'( we shall await the masters response @-@

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:48:29 PM »

i know ur asking neff but if i may be so bold  :-[ you are correct it makes equal if not more sense to diet your RC because the effects will be most evident with fixed tip play IMHO. again sorry to hijack  :'( we shall await the masters response @-@

Thanks!  I didn't mean the post only for Mr Neff.  I was interested in everyone's opinion.  Certainly, this was no hijacking....

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 11:15:34 PM »

I am in the hijack mood, too!  During Sunday School opening while I am playing my guitar a young boy walks in with something in his hand.  I look closer and it is a blue B/K.  That has never happened to me at that time of the day in that situation.  After we were done with the opening I asked him about it.  He said he just got it for his birthday.......and he also has a red one at home!!!  Yippee.

Maybe I will be looking for some diet b/k modding for him sometime in the future?

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 11:29:48 PM »

I love modding Bearing Kings and Rip Cords, it makes them so much better!

I would suggest modding both, the performance increase is significant both ways and you can always switch tips and make them fixed or bearing as you please.  Metal would be better, but I kind of like the plastic fixed Rip Cord tip for when I am playing over things I do not want to damage :)

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 11:31:01 AM »

I am in the hijack mood, too!  During Sunday School opening while I am playing my guitar a young boy walks in with something in his hand.  I look closer and it is a blue B/K.  That has never happened to me at that time of the day in that situation.  After we were done with the opening I asked him about it.  He said he just got it for his birthday.......and he also has a red one at home!!!  Yippee.

Maybe I will be looking for some diet b/k modding for him sometime in the future?

Sounds like that young guy is off to a great start!  I'm curious, now, about the colors available for Duncan B/K tops.  All of my juggling props follow a red, white and blue color scheme....I've done that for over twenty years.

I'd love to find a red B/K or R/C, and a blue one.  Then I could switch the tops and bodies, add some white body "armor" for a stripe, and have my signature color scheme....

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 04:24:27 PM »

Well, it only took a month, but I finally mailed my two Duncan tops off to Mr. Neff today (anticipated delivery date is Halloween)!  My B/K and R/C will soon be put on diets, and I can't wait to try them again when they return!

I will make do with my wooden tops in the meantime, but I'm sure they can't measure up to those hot rodded Duncans Mr.Neff will be sending me....   ;D

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 05:55:14 PM »

I'm curious, now, about the colors available for Duncan B/K tops.  All of my juggling props follow a red, white and blue color scheme....I've done that for over twenty years.

I'd love to find a red B/K or R/C, and a blue one.  Then I could switch the tops and bodies, add some white body "armor" for a stripe, and have my signature color scheme....

A convenient place to see the current available colors is the yoyoexpert site (link = yoyoexpert spintop shopping )

I'm not sure if the Ripcords are 'older' stock in the bubble pack and the BKs are the newer versions but they have different colors.  Somewhere I recall a comment about a plastic shrinkage issue related to the colors in some prototypes of the new versions, so a size variation could interfere with your mix and match plans--I don't know.  Neff has probably handled more BK/RC than most and may have a comment about switching caps and bodies among older and newer Duncan tops.

An alternative is to get a clear BK and paint it on the inside like the examples in this thread.
link = painting clear tops

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 08:28:21 PM »

How cool is that?  My B/K just happens to be a clear one!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 12:02:12 AM »

Sweet!  I will let you know when they arrive, and confirm all the colors before modding begins.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 05:38:24 PM »

I got my modded B/K and R/C back from Chris Neff yesterday.  Woo-hoo!  Thanks, Chris!

I played with them a lot at juggling club today, and really do notice a marked difference, compared to the as-purchased tops.

The increased spin time and stability are the most noticeable improvements.  The improved weight distribution due to the mods must be the reason.  I also really like the custom-made strings Chris provided.

All in all, WELL worth the money spent.  Thanks again, Chris....

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 07:43:18 PM »

Thanks for posting that mailman!  Please let me know if you have any kind of problem with them.  Happy spinning!