iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Introduction.  (Read 4807 times)

Ehud

Introduction.
« on: March 13, 2014, 11:59:06 PM »

Hi, my name is Ehud and I am new here.

On Valentine's Day my wife bought me a finger top and tray and I kind of liked it so decided to buy some more.  In searching online I found this forum.

Currently I own a wooden Mader and plan on buying more.  I also ordered, today, a Strommol8 "Love" from Yo Yo Expert.  I ordered a small one due to price and I wanted something small.  I understand it will be harder to learn any tricks (but I am an old dog so who know).  I also support a Kickstarter campaign, "Forever Spin" which are finger tops (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1251371853/forever-spinning-top).  I am not associated with the campaign but Ta0 suggested I mention it.

Professionally I am a teacher working with students with disabilities.

Anyway, "hi."

Ehud

trompillo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
Re: Introduction.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 04:33:55 AM »

Welcome to the forum! Here you will take very much!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 08:14:24 AM »

Welcome Ehud!

The only increased difficulty in using the Love for basic tricks (e.g. boomerang) is that like all delrin tops the surface is very slick and the wrap may come off.  Ask any questions you may have and we will try to guide you through the initial steps. The main thing is to have patience and practice.

The Kickstarter thing is very interesting. Thank you for pointing it out. I will start another thread under the buying/selling thread.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 08:26:23 AM »

Welcome Ehud!

I'm sure you will enjoy the Love...fun little top, super balance and hefty for its size, in a good way.

Cheers!
Erratic Wobbler

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 11:29:28 AM »

Ehud welcome to the forum!  You'll have a great time here we're all pretty friendly.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 01:16:35 PM »

Hi Ehud, and Welcome to the Forum!
Folks here are quite knowledgeable and always willing to share it.
Happy to have you join us.  :)

yollector

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 01:22:23 PM »

Hi,
And Welcome
    RFC

Spintowin

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 01:45:10 PM »

Ehud,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here.

Ehud

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 02:33:38 PM »

Hi Poptop and all, thanks for the warm welcome.

Once I get the top I will probably have more questions.  My first step will be to throw it accurately.

Ehud

Welcome Ehud!

I'm sure you will enjoy the Love...fun little top, super balance and hefty for its size, in a good way.

Cheers!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 11:41:00 PM »

Hello Ehud.  It is great that you found us.  I think that means you are really thinking about different possibilities with tops.  Keep up that creativity.  It will take you a long long way!!!

I think you will also find that your students will be fascinated with your new hobby.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Ehud

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 01:56:41 AM »

I hope so.  I work with kids with developmental disabilities and they really love their technology.  I managed to get a group of boys around a table with my wooden top to teach them how to spin it.  I also showed them that you can spin it upside down.  It was a good 15 minutes without them looking at a computer or cell phone..

As a teacher I am always looking to tie activities beyond TV and computers for my students.  They will often live in group homes after graduation and having a hobby they can do independently is very important.

I have been thinking to trying to do top "fighting" with the kids.

Of course, I am selfish and want to do fun stuff at school for myself as well.

Hello Ehud.  It is great that you found us.  I think that means you are really thinking about different possibilities with tops.  Keep up that creativity.  It will take you a long long way!!!

I think you will also find that your students will be fascinated with your new hobby.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 02:41:42 PM »

Sounds great.  They will love top battles of most any kind.......finger spinners, Beyblades, peg tops etc.  With peg tops sometimes I am the only one getting spinners in the arena but others keep trying and eventually some will hit it.  Meanwhile, I am having a blast throwing spinners as fast as I can to keep the action going to challenge others to participate!

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 05:08:01 PM »

Welcome Ehud!
  As a former school teacher, I say show them the top.  Many of my kids could do basic tricks and when I see them later in life, they remember the tops.  Did diabolos also.  Great learning experience.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

Ehud

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 11:21:05 PM »

I'll keep that in mind.  On the other hand, I cannot even pick up a top or know any tricks so will have to get some "chops" first.

What grade did you teach?  I teach high school.

Ehud

Welcome Ehud!
  As a former school teacher, I say show them the top.  Many of my kids could do basic tricks and when I see them later in life, they remember the tops.  Did diabolos also.  Great learning experience.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 05:49:08 AM »

welcome sir  ;)