iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: chico???  (Read 3670 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
chico???
« on: March 10, 2014, 05:13:03 AM »

is this company related to that yoyo company making the new chico top?????

www.etsy.com/listing/160813221/

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:22:44 PM by ta0 »

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
Re: chico???
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 06:02:18 AM »

I do not believe that there is any relation between the two companies.
I will let someone more knowledgeable about these tops explain further.

jim in paris

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 12:27:21 PM »

hi jack
not at all
Chico is a city in California ,which host the national yoyo contest every 1st w-end of October
http://nationalyoyo.org/
it's also home of the national yoyo museum
http://www.theyoyomuseum.com/
the group of players and the owner of the yoyomuseum (BOB) have designed the tops you're referring to

it's a new company with a small production of HIGH TECH TOPS

jim(reporting from paris)
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »

The old Royal Chico company from NY sold several tops in the 50s and 60s, including the Trom.Po, Astrotop and Chiquito. The first two were regular size.  I don't know (recall?) why the company has Chico in its name but chico in Spanish means small and chiquito means very small what is very appropriate for those tops (and chiquitita like in the classic ABBA song means very, very small, normally used for a little girl).

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 05:43:09 AM »

The old Royal Chico company from NY sold several tops in the 50s and 60s, including the Trom.Po, Astrotop and Chiquito. The first two were regular size.  I don't know (recall?) why the company has Chico in its name but chico in Spanish means small and chiquito means very small what is very appropriate for those tops (and chiquitita like in the classic ABBA song means very, very small, normally used for a little girl).

hi jack
not at all
Chico is a city in California ,which host the national yoyo contest every 1st w-end of October
http://nationalyoyo.org/
it's also home of the national yoyo museum
http://www.theyoyomuseum.com/
the group of players and the owner of the yoyomuseum (BOB) have designed the tops you're referring to

it's a new company with a small production of HIGH TECH TOPS

jim(reporting from paris)

thanks guys thats alot of good info  ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 12:30:51 PM »

According to Lucky's Collectors Guide, Joe Radovan founded Royal Tops Manufacturing Company in 1937 (after being a Duncan yo-yo demonstrator) and in 1949 the Chico yo-yo line (not really a new company but part of Royal.)

In the early '30s, some of the yo-yo demonstrations were run like vaudeville stage shows, so many of the demonstrators had stage names.  Radovan would frequently wear a large sombrero hat, so he was given the Mexican nickname "Chico". This is were the Chico line got its name.

Lucky is the ultimate authority on the history of yo-yos, so this must be it. But I still wonder if it may also have to do with the fact that he was from the Philippines (born in 1906, came to the US in 1930) and over there family names (and probably also nicknames) are often Spanish (as it was a colony of Spain before being a colony of the US).

yollector

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 02:45:29 PM »

Back in the 1930s
Joe Radovan ( who owned the royal top co )
was given the nickname CHICO when doing shows
because he wore a large sombrero hat.
This is where the chico line got its name.
    The Chico tops made today are made by the chico
yoyo company and are made in Chico Calif.
   Hope this helps.
Richy from Chico

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 11:12:57 PM »

I looked at my Royal tops and the only other one that appears to have the Chico name is the Astro-Top:

Obviously, it must be from the 60's. Surprisingly, Radovan sold yo-yos all the way up to the early 80's. By the way, it was him who sued Duncan (and eventually won) for the right to use the word yo-yo. He considered it to belong to the Filipino language (Tagalog?). 

I was mistaken about the Trom-Po, it doesn't say Chico.

I still have the hunch that the nickname chico did not just come from using sombreros. So I did a search for Philippines + Chico and found several hits, including the Chico River:

For completeness, here is Swedish group ABBA singing one of my favorite songs of all time ;D : Chiquitita (English) or Chiquitita (Spanish)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:10:21 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 10:21:45 PM »

I should have looked at the back of the Royal bag cards, it does say Royal Chico Toys, Inc.  Like in this combo of regular size and Chiquito:

The 19 ct price for the combo is low.  Maybe Royal started selling the Chiquito earlier than what I had assumed.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 09:41:41 PM »

thats alot of info to digest thanks guys  :o

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 08:30:40 AM »

Are the royals what we used for battle tops at worlds?
 ???

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 10:25:23 PM »

Are the royals what we used for battle tops at worlds?
 ???

They could be.  The source of the tops was Rick Osbourne, who goes by Royal Top on this forum  :D  Can you tell us Rick?

A similar design was used for a long time by many manufacturers, including Japanese and Taiwanese exporting to the US.  Some of the Royals have the brand name on the crown:

but others just have 8 radial marks from the lathe spur, like the ones we used to battle.