iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Please permit me to introduce "Spinny-Doo"  (Read 4916 times)

Spinny-Doo

Please permit me to introduce "Spinny-Doo"
« on: March 08, 2014, 10:23:07 PM »

Gentlemen,

Jorge, the owner of this top discussion board, has graciously allowed me to post here to promote my tops. I honestly didn't know there were so many people making and spinning tops - I thought it was a simple, but unique idea to make a precision spinning top with my Hardinge CHNC-1 Precision Lathe, but once I started looking around, dozens of makers popped up, plus forums dedicated to spinning tops, Facebook groups whose single interest is collecting them, and now here I am talking to you guys like a newbie :-)

I make a top called "Spinny-Doo". My website is www.spinny-doo.com, and my aim is to produce a high-precision top that looks aesthetically pleasing, has excellent hand-feel, is precisely balanced, and spins for a very long time. The first model I created spins for 7+ minutes, but several of my customers claim closer to eight minutes. I've made larger tops (thicker in the body) that spin for longer, but making tops that spin forever isn't the entire motivation here. The underlying motivation for making tops is to realize a life-long dream of becoming a manufacturer, and furthermore, to take back manufacturing from overseas and give jobs back to Americans (Canada included, as the United States' little brother.)

Well, thank you for listening. I would like to invite you you to come over to my website, www.spinny-doo.com, and have a look. I would love to have conversations with you about the types of tops you like, and what you like or dislike about mine.

Finally, I would like to say thank you to Jorge, for permitting me to come on here and shamelessly plug my own venture. Thank you, Jorge. Thank you very much.

Torin...
--
www.spinny-doo.com - Precision Spinning Tops Proudly Made in North America
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:00:20 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Please permit me to introduce "Spinny-Doo"
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 01:10:02 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Torin.

The finger tops look very nice and 7+ minutes is impressive.
If I understand correctly, at this time you only have available the bare aluminum model:

I personally look forward to the colored version with all the logos, it reminds me a race car:

The underlying motivation for making tops is to realize a life-long dream of becoming a manufacturer
There is something very noble in manufacturing and creating stuff.  Congratulations!

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 03:31:42 PM »

I hope you start looking at four inch dia. delrin tops. That's what I like.

Spinny-Doo

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:37:44 PM »

Ta0,

You are correct, I am presently only able to offer the bare aluminum in both a matte finish (shown previously) and a very bright mirror-polish version.

I recently had samples come back from the anodizer in the "flagship" color, Crimson Red and have just a handful to sell right now. Funny you should say, but now that I look at it, you are absolutely right - it totally does look like a race car!!

I am busily machining more of these tops in preparation for a large batch of Crimson Red, then I will produce another batch of Royal Blue, and I suppose whatever other colors people start asking for. I need to balance the color production with sales, of course.

Later, toward the summer, I would very much like to make some C69300 Brass which will triple the density of these tops and bring their spin time to nearly ten minutes. That, and bring my YAG laser online to start marking the logos. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but it's very exciting to own and be in control of the process from start to finish.

Thank you again for the very warm welcome to your site.

Torin...
--
www.spinny-doo.com - Precision Spinning Tops

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:50:24 PM »

These look very cool!
Fearless leader of the Finger Lakes Yoyo Club - PM me for info!
JRod's Yoyo Mods - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jrodsyoyomods/

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 11:29:28 AM »

Very impressive, I may get one or two for my collection, but I have been going to the wrong trade shows. $20.00 for a give-a-away?
Practice hard and play safe.

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 07:54:52 AM »

Very cool!
Eagerly awaiting the brass ones! >:D

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 08:36:47 AM »

Cool stuff!

If you want discuss design ideas for the kind of tops I/we like to play "string trick" or "acrobatic" style, this is the place!

Not a big market, but we love 'em dearly and folks here would surely buy a few...

Welcome and good luck!

Erratic Wobbler