iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: colombian tops  (Read 5017 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
colombian tops
« on: March 02, 2014, 06:19:28 AM »

jugador de trompo

jim
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:29:39 PM by ta0 »
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: colombian tops
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 02:37:26 PM »

Thanks for posting this, Jim.

If I had seen the tops by themselves, I would have thought that they were spun with a frame/pulley, like other similar looking humming tops, not by throwing with a string.  This is interesting and may be an indication that the tops are original from these indigenous people of the Amazon. The location is the southern border of Colombia, just across Brazil.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 03:07:50 PM »

that was quite interesting, i too would have thought some sort of a launcher would have been involved ill have to watch it again cus i cant quite figure out how they are doing that lol (my current theory: they be epic skilled). thanks for posting that jim it was super interesting

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »

It seems they are pulling the string to launch like the common handle launched tops such as this one

they are simply using their other hand as the launching tool/frame and once the top is spinning in that hand they throw it.

We have seen a similar launch but with a peg top by Don Macizo, see his launch at about 2:41

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 11:54:51 PM »

You are correct John, it is the same principle. But the question remains if they were developed independently without a launcher or at one time they had a launcher (or were based on a top with one.)  One reason to get rid of the launcher would be to spin them with the long stem down without it being on the way. Perhaps a better reason is to avoid the complexity of making one.

By the way, are there large gourds native to Europe? I wonder if the European humming tops were not copied from tops from the Americas, Africa or Asia.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 01:12:07 PM »

I wonder if the European humming tops were not copied from tops from the Americas, Africa or Asia.
interesting question : in the video it seems that they spin the top with their hands as launcher, we can hardly hear the sound ../// : i wonder what lourens would have to say on the topic
what is striking is the similarity with gasin and other asian traditions : the images of tops show very poor people, families and kids and older people together...the game seems a day of celebration like an extrusion from the hardship..a suspended moment/

very  moving images  that's what i feel

jim