iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rip-King  (Read 7651 times)

kevinm

Rip-King
« on: October 27, 2009, 07:15:43 PM »

today i got a couple bearing king kits from infinite illusions with the thought of
converting two rip-cords. the kits come with two loaded bk tips, so one kit is enough to do
two tops if you have an extra couple duncan bearings, or you could use the bearing from the extra tip
to do one with the double bearing set up.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Re: Rip-King
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:13:19 PM »

Right on.  I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced the BK's duncan bearings with some of the higher quality yo-yo bearings?  YYF spec? Ceramic?

I seem to recall that Jeffs put a YYF dorothy bearing in his QS--anyone else?
Erratic Wobbler

gunhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:04:52 PM »

today i got a couple bearing king kits from infinite illusions with the thought of
converting two rip-cords. the kits come with two loaded bk tips, so one kit is enough to do
two tops if you have an extra couple duncan bearings, or you could use the bearing from the extra tip
to do one with the double bearing set up.

Since Duncan is dragging their feet putting out a new Bearing King I've been considering trying this myself.  Let us know how it works out.

Ed

kevinm

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:53:11 PM »

it seems to work very well to me, but i am seriously just a beginner, so maybe the better bearing would be an advantage to a skilled player. i did clean the bearings and put a little yyj thin lube on them. my guess is for the
quality of the top and the plastic tip you are stuck with, the duncan bearings work fine.

Darren Kim

• Gold Member
    • This Blog is Crucial
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 11:35:46 PM »

Best way that I got the long spinning duncan tips was que-tipping mineral spirits on the bearing, then lightly lubing it with yyj thin lube. I used "Rip-Kings" for my bearing freestyle, and some times you don't even need the second bearing! If you clean out the bearing hole in the top with mineral spirits, the dryness should create more friction, so the tip can stay in w/o the 2nd bearing.
Spin top is the new yo-yo

gunhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 12:30:37 AM »

it seems to work very well to me, but i am seriously just a beginner, so maybe the better bearing would be an advantage to a skilled player. i did clean the bearings and put a little yyj thin lube on them. my guess is for the
quality of the top and the plastic tip you are stuck with, the duncan bearings work fine.

Did the bearing kits come with instructions?

RunBMC

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 07:37:45 AM »

your already a gold member gun hawk? :o ive been on this thing for monthes and im still not gold member!;D
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

kevinm

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 09:03:59 AM »

Did the bearing kits come with instructions?
not exactly, but it's very easy, i did it at work when i was supposed to be working.
if you leave out the bearing cleaning process, all you have to do is open the top, and push a bearing (straight) into the recess in the bottom, just like it is in a BK. i used a
small socket to tap it in, but you could use anything, just try to distribute the pressure so you don't knock the bearing apart. a bearing spacer from the yoyo kit would be great if you don't have a suitable rod or something. also some spray silicone makes things move easier.
then you just remove the o-ring from the loaded axle in the kit, push it in, and put the o-ring back on from the inside.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 11:58:35 AM »

So simply.  ;) [Video below]

[youtube]kF5U4i92eYA[/youtube]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 12:35:07 PM by ta0 »
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

gunhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 07:40:22 PM »

your already a gold member gun hawk? :o ive been on this thing for monthes and im still not gold member!;D

I ask a lot of dumb questions and go off topic frequently.  It's easy when you know how.  (-:

gunhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »

Pulp

I've seen your instructional video before, but it looks like what you are replacing is a fixed tip, not a bearing tip.  Am I right?   Are you saying that the plastic bearing tip is replaced in exactly the same way as the plastic fixed tip? I have never seen a plastic  bearing tip and I haven't looked at my rip-cord fixed tip , so I'm lost here.  Please elaborate.

Thanks.

Ed

gunhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 10:24:33 AM »

Yocephus

Pulp must be too busy to answer, so maybe you can help me out here.

In the video that Pulp provided that's a fixed tip that he's replacing, right?  Is the plastic bearing tip replaced in the same way as a fixed tip?  I've never seen a Bearing King top or tip, so I'm having trouble picturing how to replace a fixed plastic tip in a Rip Cord with a plastic Bearing KIng tip.

Thanks.

Ed

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 12:18:41 PM »

Here are Pulp's instructions for maintenance of a Bearing King (with a replacement metal bearing tip). I don't play much with Duncans so I have never changed them myself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOOdzIzjNBM[/youtube]
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:06:41 PM by ta0 »

gunhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 03:19:58 PM »

Here are Pulp's instructions for maintenance of a Bearing King (with a replacement metal bearing tip). I don't play much with Duncans so I have never changed them myself.

Thanks Tao.  I saw that one too, but that's not the tip that i'm talking about.  I'm talking about the plastic bearing tip that comes with the Infinite Illusions kit.  I'm not sure that the one in this video installs the same way.

Ed
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 04:08:38 PM by ta0 »

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 04:27:59 PM »

gunhawk - just get the kit already!  ::)  ;D
All Duncan BK tips are plastic with a metal bearing, they are all the same, and they all fit Rip Chords, and Rip Chords are the exact same mold as BKs.  Ya just stick it in the hole.  The only difficulty is if you decide to install the second bearing - which is completeley optional.  You install the second bearing from inside the top.  To do this, i reccommend using a bolt with wingnuts and washers to "squeeze" the bearing in its hole evenly.  You can leave the second bearing in there and put the fixed tip back in if you so choose.  Once you see the kit in person it will all make sense, I promise.  If not, we can set up a video conference.