iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trompo Bearing Running Rough  (Read 2603 times)

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
Trompo Bearing Running Rough
« on: October 26, 2009, 12:35:13 PM »

My Spintastics Trompo Bearing top is running rough. The bearing does not spin freely and feels raspy.  Can I correct this without taking the top apart?

Ed

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
Re: Trompo Bearing Running Rough
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:52:02 PM »

Sometimes if the top hits the ground tip first the tip gets pushed up and causes the bearings to jam up. If this is the case just pull on the tip a little. You'll know if this was the problem, if when you pull you hear a little click. If the bearing themselves are sticking this could be because the grease in them is dried out in which case I recommend soaking them in mineral spirits. You don't have to take them out of the top just put the whole top in mineral spirits deep enough to reach both bearings.

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 01:18:01 PM »

Sometimes if the top hits the ground tip first the tip gets pushed up and causes the bearings to jam up. If this is the case just pull on the tip a little. You'll know if this was the problem, if when you pull you hear a little click. If the bearing themselves are sticking this could be because the grease in them is dried out in which case I recommend soaking them in mineral spirits. You don't have to take them out of the top just put the whole top in mineral spirits deep enough to reach both bearings.

It's not totally jammed.  It's just not spinning freely.  I can turn it, but it feels raspy.  If I pull on the tip or push on it a bit and turn it the rasp goes away.  When I take away the tension the rasp comes back.

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 04:48:36 PM »

I just had a long and very amusing conversation with Dale of Spintastics where he very patiently explained why it was a bad idea to hurl my brass tipped plastic Trompo Grande bearing top directly at a concrete floor like Roger Clemens throwing a 100 MPH fast ball. 

I think I get the picture now. (-:

Ed