iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Spanish spintop company and video from Gerardo.  (Read 4792 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
New Spanish spintop company and video from Gerardo.
« on: October 25, 2009, 01:59:02 PM »

Trompos Space is a new spintop company from Spain: www.saturnotruco.com

They hired Gerardo Montero to be a demonstrator! They call him "world champion" (I personally don't have a problem.) Here is a demo video he made for them:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kqsk8M4gnQ[/youtube]

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
Re: New Spanish spintop company and video from Gerardo.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 02:38:40 PM »

But do you have a problem with their new FORUM?  ::) ::) ::)

The tops are very bright!

http://saturnotruco.com/tienda/index.php

I'm not sure I really care for the stepped crown.  It's not very smooth looking.

You can see it better in this photo:

http://saturnotruco.com/images/big/223863565.JPG
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 02:43:04 PM by SpinQueen »

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 06:44:55 PM »

Trompos Space birth in the mind of Javier Caballero. He contacted with me for the design development.

Quickly I convinced him to get rid of his first design and focused in the Cometa or Spintastic style.

Two days before my collarbone broke I was in Javier's house testing the 3D printed prototype for the last details.

I bought some with fixed and bearing tip for a neverended top-shop project. So that they are available to you. White, blue, black, pink, yellow and orange.

I highlight the importance of more weight to reinforce the near-the-tip area. So that the trompo is very playable and stronger than Cometas and Duncan Imperial ones, in the same way as Spintastics, and far stronger than Ripcord and Bk.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 08:46:28 PM by ta0 »
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:46:10 PM »

So, is Gerardo using a bearing top or a fixed tip.

Jorge, are all the tops you got from Salvador fixed tip tops?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 08:53:12 PM »

I am sure Gerardo is playing a fixed tip.

I had the opportunity to play a little with Trompo Space prototypes (fixed tip) when I visited Pulp. I had success doing quite a few tricks, so it is a very playable top.

Mike: Salvador's shipment was all fixed tip. He will send me a much smaller batch of bearing (Turbo) tops and Jumbo tops.

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:33:28 PM »

They call him "world champion" (I personally don't have a problem.)

Ja, ja, ja and more ja, ja, ja! That`s very funny to me. Is like the second or third time I `ve seen or listened some call him that..mmm...well, it seems that he assumes that tittle. It really doesn`t matter. Altough I believe that he should not assume that. Because he knows from before, that the video is going to appear by saying that lie, and accepting that ting, means that he is agree with the tittle that they give him.

If you organize a world championship of top, and Jorge is the actual champion, they (the other people that call to anyone another "world champion) (by knowing that Jorge is the one that has that tittle), they must be more respectful.

If others players play better, that is a very different question. Is like if in another discipline, or sport, the best team or player don`t assist the event, the winner is the one who wins that championship.
You (ihnabitahts of USA) are not to blame that most of us we can`t go there to participate.

If you organize a world championship, and the makers, the fabricants of this spanish tops knows that Jorge is world`s champion, I guees that is a lack of respect to say that Gerardo or any another person, is world champion.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 11:03:34 PM »

Thanks Salvador. But really I don't mind because of two reasons.

The first one is that there is a long tradition of yo-yo/top demonstrators calling themselves World Champions. I believe it was very common for old Duncan demonstrators touring the country calling themselves World Champions. It was a marketing gimmick and the kids would have no idea if that was true or not. I think they really meant: "World Champion Level" and they really were.  Now, if you are interviewed by a newspaper it may be a different matter.

The second reason, is that I don't kid myself. Gerardo (and you, and Gustavo, and surely several other professional spintop players from Mexico) is a better players than I am. I know that if he could he would come and compete at worlds. I hope one day there is one international contest in Mexico . . .
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:05:51 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 04:29:32 AM »

The "other forum" talks about Gerardo winning a world championship and receiving a scooter as the winning prize.  It also talked about a ping pong paddle.  Was that for second?  Was the contest in sagunto?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 09:50:48 AM »

en sagunto estuvo el campeon y en el concurso dieron de regalo la peonza de cameon un patinete y una raqueta de ping-pong

What the poster says on the Trompo Space board is that in Sagunto (a city by the sea in Valencia, Spain) there was a contest in which the "world champion" was present. They gave as prizes (to a kid) a spintop, a skate board and a ping pong paddle  :P

I guess as long Gerardo calls himself just world champion and not "2009 world champion", there is no problem.

By the way, for anybody that has not realized yet, there are now two active boards in this forum. This one is for top spinning play and general spintop messages, while the other is for collecting (spintop history), modding, reviews and science of spin.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 10:31:47 AM »

Well, the translator got a few things right.  The town was right!  The ping pong paddle was right!!  There was something in there about the world champion!!!  That's interesting, though, that it thought the skate board was a scooter. 

Thanks for the clarification on the translation.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 09:37:59 PM »

I exchanged some emails with Javier Caballero, the owner of Trompos Space. He wanted to link to my site and establish contact (he says he has followed ta0.com for a while).

Javier read this post and wanted me to transmit to the board that when Gerardo saw the promo video he told him that he was not the world champion. Javier promised Gerardo to change it but he forgot until he read this thread. He has now asked his webmaster to correct it. He wants to stress that Gerardo never proclaimed himself as the world champion. In his own words:

" . . . Gerardo cuando lo vió me dijo que el no era el campeón del mundo. Le prometí cambiarlo, Pero hasta que no he leido hoy el foro , no me habia acordado . . . en ningún momento Gerardo se ha auto-proclamado campeón del mundo.Ha sido mas bien un malentendido y un exceso de faena por mi parte  . . . , Gerardo me lo repitió varias veces."

By the way, I mentioned to Javier that I am collector and he is sending me diverse Saturn models/prototypes ;D