iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: In what year were the first plastic tops produced?  (Read 2951 times)

gunhawk

• Gold Member
In what year were the first plastic tops produced?
« on: October 25, 2009, 11:04:23 AM »

Looking at Life photos from 1955, which would have been about when I was playing "tops", and knowing that I never saw a plastic top when I was a kid, I was wondering when they were introduced.  Does anybody have a firm year?  Was it a Duncan?  If so, which type?

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 01:42:29 PM by ta0 »

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
Re: In what year were the first plastic tops produced?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 12:41:49 PM »

This is the best I can do....

"Recent History of the Throwing Top

Beginning in the 1960’s, Duncan Toy Company began promotion of spin
tops.  Demonstrators, like those used with the yo-yo, were sent to run
promotions in various cities across the United States.  Initial tops were made of
wood and  were turnable-painted in large barrels or machine sprayed.  Also
during this time, plastics began to be produced by companies such as Duncan,
festival and Royal.  Comparable weight plastic tops spun much longer than
wooden tops, due to the fact that plastic tops were hollow, distributing the mass
to the outside."

I borrowed this from Val Oliver's  "History of the Top"

You can find the full article here:  http://spintastics.com/SSThisttop.html

I'm guessing the change in materials happened the way most things do.   I played tennis as a kid and my dad fished.  It seemed that every time the latest racquet or pole would come out, they would both be made out of the same materials..... Wood...steel...aluminum...titanium...graphite..or some composite material.  My dad and I used to compare equipment...old vs. new.

I wish Duncan would hurry up and give us that Imperial that they've been talking about, made out of the old plastics....that plastic was much better than the current stuff.

Afterthought ......I wonder if they got the idea for a hollow "throw" top after they made the wooden twin spin....of course the Siren King was hollow too....the world may never know, but Ta0 might  ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:49:51 PM by SpinQueen »

gunhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 01:34:59 PM »

Thanks for the article.  Looks like, as I thought, plastic tops didn't arrive until the 1960's.  I had no idea that the sport had become so widely promoted.  Even a national contest at Disneyland.  Wow!  Now I see what those patches that I see on EBay were used for.  This is all brand new to me! ...and amazing!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 01:51:48 PM »

(I moved the article as history is close to collecting)

Duncan announced its first plastic tops (Imperial and Sir Duncan) in 1962. I don't know if there were plastic tops from other companies before that.

Gunhawk: I talked on the phone to the first National Champion (1963) who is from San Antonio (I need to try again to meet him in person).  Barely a teenager he won $5000 cash, what is equivalent to more than $30,000 current dollars!

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 02:51:02 PM »

"I moved the article"   

Oh...now I get it.   I had been wondering where posts had been going to.  I hadn't noticed that Collecting and Modding are now under current posts.  Duh.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 08:57:44 PM »

The early 60's makes sense for this.  That is also the time when juggling clubs other than wood were starting to be offered to the general public.....and club passing started taking off!  More and more people were able to get clubs to juggle, they didn't hurt as much to learn on and with more people juggling clubs there was more and more passing. 
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!