iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: good place for a hair cut  (Read 3353 times)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
good place for a hair cut
« on: September 09, 2013, 09:40:24 PM »

posted in 2012

and posted in 2007 with comments from ta0 and Salvador

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
Re: good place for a hair cut
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:59:55 PM »

Guillermo Durán.

It's mainly due to him, that nowadays, I am a spintop player.
The first time I saw him was in the now already very far year of 2000.
To be more accurate, December of year 2000. I don't remember now the day, but I could find in my diary out which day.

He was doing street performances in the south part of the city, in a neighborhood called as Villa Coapa, in the crossing of the avenues Calzada Acoxpa and Canal de Miramontes (d´mn....by the way, yesterday, Sunday 8 September 2013, I was working/playing right there in that same avenues crossing).

I began to close and talk to him in the year 2003. Next one, 2004, He went to USA.
Semiprofessional or professional (I don´t know exactly) boxer, he even worn on his little trousers during a fight, on the ring, the word "Premier"!!!!

In those years, I was studying Journalism as a career (I need to finish it, btw), and he told me all about his starting with the trompo. Something very important (at least, for me) was the fact that a very important tv company made an important report about him, recording him during his boxing trainings and also during his street performances. I would like a lot to get that documentary.

Due to him, according to his brother, Cinco Estrellas decided to make a ballbearing top, given that someone sent to Memo (short way of Guillermo)  one ballbearing top, and Memo showed  to the  (at the time) owner of 5 Stars.
Watch this video and analyze it and you' ll see why his style is unique.
As far as I know, Guillermo Durán was the  first man, I am sure, playing trompo, taking advantage of the red lights of stop, by doing it as street performance with the clear purpose of get some money. Carrying the game, the art of trompo to audiences and levels never before suspected.
In some way, I am a direct result of his way to give to know the trompo to the big crowds while they drive their cars. Guillermo Durán broke the typical and classic image of the “campeón”, carrying  the trompo to the streets, breaking the usual image of a trompo player/demonstrator.
He was the first of his kind. Now, I am the main representative player of that kind .
Gustavo Castro was my main teacher, but the seed to become a spintop player was put in my by Guillermo Durán.
Thanks for this video!!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:31:18 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 12:39:21 AM »

When somebody posted the second video on the old board we were all amazed at the cable car (teleférico) trick, as we had not seen something like that before.
But then I realized the weirdness of the way he played.  I don't know how many times I watched the video and how exasperated I was until I realized what was going on.  Notice the direction of the precession . . .   Years later Salvador would confirm to me that Memo plays that way.

Carson, CA, is in Los Angeles.  If he was closer to Chico . . .

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:42:08 AM »

Incluso le compusé "A Durán los rivales en el ring no le duran, y los trompos girando si que  le duran" No way to explain it, better said, to translate it in english. :'(

Curiously, "trompo" in Méxiko, in popular language, it´s a synonymous of "fight, fighting" mainly related to fight with fists, so Durán was very good with trompo in both meanings. >:D

Merci beaucoup par le correction des lettres, mon chier ami, je etais pensant au italien...ici est "giornalismo" il n´est pas le meme choise "Bon jour" que "bon your" cette dernier est franglais...je, je...(by meaning ha ha!! and not I, I)  ???

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 11:33:22 AM »

Yes, he is wrapping for a left-handed person but throwing right-handed . . .  :o
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 11:35:34 AM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 11:54:40 AM »

That sure is weird......wrapping for a leftie but throwing as a rightie!

Wonder if they sold tops at this barbershop?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

anon

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »

Yes, he is wrapping for a left-handed person but throwing right-handed . . .  :o
:o   :o    ???
Spin tops not the truth.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 02:27:53 PM »

!!great barber shop
it seems to me that he throws tip down
that could explain the wrapping